We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 615 Posts
    I wish the moderators could do something about the dissipline in the forums. Like it is now there is a lot of new questions in meny of the threads, many of them of topic, and the number of replies is often over 100. huh

My wish is that every new question that isn’t a direct answer of a direct information of the the topic should be moved to it’s own topic.

This way it would be much easier to find the information we are searching for, without having to read trough 10-15 pages of info with a topic like "Info and support about this and that snippet/cunk ore whatever".

I like MODx much better than Joomla, but the forum-dissipline in the Joomla-forums was much, much better.

Thanks from Norway. smiley

ADMIN NOTE: Spelling change in title
      I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?
    • Considering that most of the moderators are also developers, and we are all volunteers mostly will full-time jobs and families on the side, I think a pretty good job is being done. Or are you volunteering?
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 615 Posts
        Thanks for reminding me about that. It’s of course a very good point, and something I fully understand. I misunderstood, I believed the moderators was others than the developers. I do apologize.

I could be volunteering, but with limits. My english isn’t up to 100% (thanks for spelling discipline for me wink ), and I do have timelimits my self. But I could help with one or to maintopics like Ditto, Wayfinder, eForm or MaxiGallery. These topics have alot of new questions in the same thread, and therefor have more and more pages.

Please don’t misunderstand, the help I get in the forums are excellent, and the developers are really doing the best they can to answer everything. But as a main user, it’s not allways easy to find the right answer between all the other answers as long as they are in the same thread.

On the other hand, there mite be only me thinking these way.

Anyway, thanks for cleering things up, and thanks for making Modx.
          I think, thererfor I am! But what I am, and why...?
        • A lot of the long threads were the original support topics created from the Repository. With that said, the goal now is to keep threads more manageable, and I for one agree that there should be much more focused (and appropriately titled) forum posts. We’ll continue to make progress in this regard, but it sure wouldn’t hurt in the interim if you see some things that could be split and report those to the moderators... Moderator reports don’t necessarily have to be reserved for "telling" on people that are possibly out of line. smiley

As far as splitting up existing "mega topics" I doubt that honestly will happen very soon, but maybe one day we’ll get to it. As new versions are released and the wiki grows, those topics will likely be superseded anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this point up as it’s very valid, and thanks Susan for pointing out some of our current limitations. smiley
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 126 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at Nov 18, 2006, 04:08 PM

As far as splitting up existing "mega topics" I doubt that honestly will happen very soon, but maybe one day we’ll get to it. As new versions are released and the wiki grows, those topics will likely be superseded anyway.

I think we should really push the Wiki.... the forums get used to "discuss and resolve" whatever the issue is and then the original questioner puts the SOLUTION into the Wiki.. this way they repay the help they received by documenting the solution.

I notice that some posters already have the very positive habit of adding a "final wrap", maybe marked with [Solved] once their issues are fixed up. If we get into the habit of adding [Solved + Added to Wiki] then we could centralize the solutions...

Of course, like all good habits, it takes time to get into and while I’ve managed to get as far as signing up for a Wiki account, I haven’t actually managed to WRITE anything yet. But as I learn stuff, I figure I should write down what caused ME problems (as a newish user) and how I fixed it...

Cheers

Gordon