We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    First post! smiley Hi all! Congratulations on a great CMS! It’s the best I’ve found by far!

I’m not new to forums, so the first thing I set out to do was search for previous answers to my questions. Alas, all I seem to get is "Your query was not specific enough..." no matter how much I enter in the search box. I even put in about 20 random gibberish words which I would expect to give me a ’no match’ message, but still got "Your query was not specific enough..."

Just thought I’d let you know something’s afoot smiley

- Jay
      • 4,213 Posts
      When you are reading a thread and use the search, it will search only in that thread, try clicking the search multiple times to make sure that it searches whole thread.

But I use google my self via bookmark favlet or you can do it manually by using "site:modxcms.com keyword" as google search term.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 2 Posts
        doze - cheers for the advice smiley

I still think there’s something wrong with the search function on the forum though. I just did an advanced search for "google my self via bookmark favlet" as copied from your last post, restricted to ’modxcms.com Discussions and Suggestions’ and I still got "Your query was not specific enough..." huh

Like I said, I just wanted to let you guys know in case it’s a problem which has only just occurred. I also don’t want to ask questions which you’ve answered 52 times already! laugh

- Jay

• 89 Posts
          Quote from: jaymanson at Aug 23, 2006, 10:30 AM

I’m not new to forums, so the first thing I set out to do was search for previous answers to my questions. Alas, all I seem to get is "Your query was not specific enough..." no matter how much I enter in the search box. I even put in about 20 random gibberish words which I would expect to give me a ’no match’ message, but still got "Your query was not specific enough..."

I was just about to report the same problem, I have also got the "Your query was not specific enough..." response when the problem may have been that my query was too general, other times I get back a page with zero hits.

If a search result is that your query was too general or that nothing was found: at all/in this forum/in this thread then please be specific. People search because they are seeking help, to get back a misleading or incorrect response is, to put it mildly, disappointing.

Ed
          • As suggested many times elsewhere, search using google with the following syntax...

site:modxcms.com search terms here

and your results will be much more favorable than the result you get even when actually making a query specific enough. Hopefully, an upgrade to SMF soon will resolve the search issues... rolleyes