We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,097 Posts
    The text of this forum says "Add/remove/combine categories and topics.", and that’s pretty much what I’m going to suggest!

I know I’m new, but it really is hard to navigate around this forum. It doesn’t help that people keep posting in the wrong places, but the remits could be made clearer. I would therefore like to make some suggestions.

1) Ditch "Support » Downloads", on the grounds that it is very rarely used and is not in any way a complete source of downloads. Many downloads have been posted in "Modules, Plugins & Snippets" or "Announcements » Important News", and the contents of the forum could easily be moved to those two forums.

2) The subforums of "Modules, Plugins & Snippets" - ie "News, Blogs & Articles", "Menus, Search & Navigation", "Galleries & Images" are unhelpful. Ditto, for example, can be used for news, navigation and (at a stretch) galleries. So I propose merging everything back into the main "Modules, Plugins & Snippets"...

3) ...and creating a subforum for each of the "core" or will-be-core snippets. These are the snippets that have the most threads, and grouping them together may help people find existing answers. So Ditto would have its own subforum, and would be available as a download in a stickied thread.

4) Change Wishlist text from "What do you want to see in future releases" to "What do you want to see in future snippets, modules, plugins or core releases?". Or "see MODx do?". Essentially, make it clearer that this isn’t just about the official core, so other snippet requests could be moved there.

5) Add a moderator who isn’t busy coding MODx who can move threads into the right places and rename threads as appropriate. Not necessarily every day, but at least once a week.

Any thoughts?
      No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
      MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
      Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
      Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
      Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
      MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
    • Are you volunteering? wink

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 3,250 Posts

5) Add a moderator who isn’t busy coding MODx who can move threads into the right places and rename threads as appropriate. Not necessarily every day, but at least once a week.

Forgetting Zi?

Regarding the Snippets subforums I motioned for those as it cuts down the number of posts I read each day that are not relevant to Ditto or new development.
          • 345 Posts
          3) ...and creating a subforum for each of the "core" or will-be-core snippets. These are the snippets that have the most threads, and grouping them together may help people find existing answers. So Ditto would have its own subforum, and would be available as a download in a stickied thread.

I was just thinking about this concept and the reason why snippet threads are so hard to get any useful information out of. I think part of the problem is that upon finding a snippet bug/problem, it seems necessary to post a question in the initial snippet thread for fear that posting elsewhere will get lost. Aside from creating 40 page threads it makes it difficult to find what others have tried.

I think it might help to solve the super long thread problem if each snippet listed in the Repository list had it’s own sub forum. And for each sub forum to have a sticky post at the top which contained the most recent version info. It might also be good to give each creator some organizational control over their own sub forum.

I think this might help everyone navigate by title/topic rather than having to read 40 pages to decide if their question has been answered. And also it would allow other knowledgable people to scan problems more easily to decide if they might could help.

At least until something like this is implemented.
          http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,3593.msg25913.html#msg25913

• 1,097 Posts
            I have accepted the offer of becoming a mod, as my shiny new badge attests. I will therefore move any thread that is obviously in the wrong place, and hope I don’t step on Zi’s toes.

Quote from: jbjones at Jun 12, 2006, 06:39 PM

I think it might help to solve the super long thread problem if each snippet listed in the Repository list had it’s own sub forum. And for each sub forum to have a sticky post at the top which contained the most recent version info. It might also be good to give each creator some organizational control over their own sub forum.
            I’d imagine that would be a great help for creators. Just being able to change the title to prefix [FIXED IN 1.2] would be a massive help; merging and splitting threads would also be useful.

I invite any snippet authors who do not have mod powers to send me a private message via this forum if they would like a thread retitling.

If every snippet had its own subforum, with a suitable description, the Sub Forums screen could act as another Repository.
            Whilst I’m not compagainst that idea, it is probably over-kill for mini-snippets like say PrevJumpNext. If a snippet just works, and is not being developed into a bigger better snippet, there’s probably little point in a subforum.

To tie in with what Mark says, if we can make snippet authors’ lives easier, the more likely they are to find and respond to posts about their snippet, and they can focus more time on new and improved snippets.

EDIT: Fixed mistake with quote!
              No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
              MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
              Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
              Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
              Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
              MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
            • Expect a new Repository solution to hit Testing soon, too... and it is COOL. smiley
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me