We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Thought I would share those web applications I like (or for some, I watch), CMS or otherwise... and also ask : what are those who stand out for you ?

Galleries
    Plogger (my favorite, light, quick and easy to integrate)
    Photostack

Podcasting to m
    Loudblog (if you like podcasting, that’s the way to go)

Forums
    Unclassified News Board (might not know it, but it’s cool and... tableless)
    PunBB

Wikis
    DocuWiki (my favorite)
    WikkaWiki (unfortunately not easy to localize... but feature packed)
    Instiki (the Ruby On Rails wiki)

Blogging tools
    DotClear (Clean, simple and efficient : not well known, cause it’s french...)
    Lightpress
    Epilog (blogging on Rails, sort of dead project but keeping my eye on it)

CMS
    Textpattern (This one I love, my number one CMS)
    MODx (ok this one is obvious tongue Now sharing the number one spot)
    Lodel (not very well known, has automatic openoffice import via ServOO, and many unique features)

CRM
    Vtiger (Sugar CRM fork, ahead of its big brother and will be even more in the future)

Social Software
    AroundMe
    Open DotNode

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
    • Not having used it but knowing how much acclaim it gets, SugarCRM stands out... it seems to be able to go head-to-head with Salesforce.com.

For bug tracking Flyspray offers a pretty good balance of features and intuitiveness as well.

I put PHP5.x as a benchmark against which I judge projects too, so at the time of working on building this support site, Unclassified didn’t make the cut; how is it now?

Then there’s e-commerce. There’s the perpetually stuck at MS-2 osCommerce, and related forks including Zen Cart (lol... which I see is still running my design for the support forum all these years later...) and the Chainreaction loaded version. There’s also some interesting things coming about from some similarly "booted from the mothership" folks at http://oscommerce-chemo.blogspot.com/ ... one to watch there. smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 7,075 Posts
        Didn’t check UNB with PHP5, I admit... It seems it has been fixed since version 1.5

Yeah, SugarCRM is nice, but for me Vtiger has the momentum and is ahead for many reasons including not only features but community dynamics and GPLed office/email integration. That being said, Vtiger devs know they are behind saleforce and they have a plan to reach the same level feature wise, plus a lot of work on usability.

Reading your answer, i realized I forgot e-commerce (oops). I like Zen Cart too.
        Didn’t know FlySpray but from a user’s perspective, it’s very nice smiley

MODx est l'outil id
        • For Galleries, Gallery2 is very robust (and huge), but I’m dying to play with the Nokia camera integration module. There’s also a new port of Douglas Bowman’s incredible gallery template at another gallery project, http://www.zenphoto.org/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">ZenPhoto.
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 7,075 Posts
            I tested Gallery2 : it’s nice, but I would only use it for bigger needs like multiple contributors, advanced feature needs...

ZenPhoto might have gotten better, but when I tested it, it looked more like an alpha than a beta and I decided to keep my eye on it, not use it. Plogger works like a charm, and integrates nicely... Photostack is now based on Singapore and getting close to a release candidate and makes a nice use of AJAX.

MODx est l'outil id
            • LOL... I’m crazy about Douglas Bowman’s template port for ZenPhoto ... and also really like the idea of letting my relatives order their own prints from a gallery2 gallery (and the Nokia camera photoblogging as previously mentioned).

You’re a geek like me that likes to collect best-of-breed apps I see! wink

lol

• 7,075 Posts
                It would seem so grin

Not a lot of people knew AroundMe when I mentionned it on forums... Social software is hype, but not yet another opensource battlefield tongue No doubt it will come.

Let’s expand the subject : in some areas, I am very much disappointed by web applications. Namely groupware and project management. The only one I use is phpCollab and right now, it’s not evolving the main dev is gone. Plus it’s only basic project management. The other like Egroupware are slow, buggy and cluttered... Would I have missed something ?

I am waiting for some opensource basecamp - writeboard - tadalist - backpack equivalent... not that I wouldn’t pay for the service, those 37signals apps are really cool. But it’s not available in french, and my clients are french speaking... If nothing happens in this area, I might just offer 37signals my service to have it available in french, who knows they might agree there is something worth selling there...

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 634 Posts
                  Suprisingly useful and flexible inventory system:
                  http://anyinventory.sourceforge.net/
                    Mikko Lammi, Owner at Maagit
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    Didn’t know of that one, could be handy, thanks !

MODx est l'outil id