We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 165 Posts
    We plan on doing an ISSUE based magazine e.g. One issue every week with approx. seven articles.

Is it better to make each ISSUE as a FOLDER with the articles as children?
    OR
    Add an ISSUE TV to each article, with no folder structure.

Which of the above methods will provide maximum flexibility, performance and managebility.
    Which of the above methods should we follow?

-Raavi
      • 3,975 Posts
      I think folder based thing will allow you better manageability, e.g. something like:

year/month/week/(all articles + anything else)

But I havent done anything personally so far so its just a suggestion smiley.
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • 165 Posts
        thanks for the suggestion zi.
        • I think Zi’s suggestion makes sense to me indeed. I’d also add a TV for tags for each article too... best of both worlds.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1,611 Posts
            If you use folders you’ll probably find that navigating in the Manager is a lot easier than if you dump all of the articles into a single folder. Ditto can easily grab them all and return whatever index pages you want from them anyway, so you don’t really lose anything by organizing them by folder. When I do this I usually use friendly alias paths to show the folders in the URL as well.

Another additional thing that has helped me out in the past is to use the Published Date field (or a date TV) to save the date for each article. That way if you create dynamic lists somewhere (for example, if you tag articles by subject or category as rthrash is suggesting), you can more easily sort them by date. If the only date reference that you have for each article is its parent folder that can be a little more complicated to make work properly.

In your case the created date may be fine, and you may just want to sort by issue date (=pagetitle of parentid), but I thought I’d mention that since it’s helped me tremendously in the past when I already had oodles of articles and suddenly needed to output them dynamically.
              "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options