We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 126 Posts
    How do I add a Wiki entry to the "How To" area?

I want to add some really basic "new user" How Tos while the problems I had, and resolved, are still clear in my mind..
    I created an account, and can edit existing pages..

I finally figured out that I can actually CREATE a new page by simply going to a non-existent URL

http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/name_of_page_I_want

and then it will be created empty and I can edit it.

(I have no idea why this fact seems not to be actually included in any of the "help" docs!)

But I simply cannot figure out how to put it in the right place.. whether I need to somehow associate categories with it, and then it will magically appear in the auto-generated list, or what..

If would be great if someone could add a HOWTO: Add new article to HOWTO !!

Thanks

Gordon
      • 1,193 Posts
      simply put
      [[Category:HOWTO]] 

in the page. it is a mediawiki tag, so you will not see it in the page text, but it tells the wiki what categories this page belongs to (yes, you can have more than one such as
      [[Category:HOWTO]] 
      [[Category:Snippets]]
      [[Category:API]] 

all on one page.

-sD-
        Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
        All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
        • 126 Posts
        Ah, thank you Mr Delicious (or should that be Dr. Delicious?)
          • 1,193 Posts
          Quote from: gfroyle at Nov 16, 2006, 01:25 AM

Ah, thank you Mr Delicious (or should that be Dr. Delicious?)
          No worries.
          It took me forever to figure out the syntax for mediawiki, but now it seems pretty straight forward.

Dr. ?
          yes. I presented myself with an honorary doctorate in the field of 3rd rate science about 2 weeks ago.

thanks for noticing!

-sD-
          Dr. Scotty Delicious, Scientist.
            Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
            All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages