We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 30 Posts
    Hello, I just moved a site from localhost where i was using to work unto my fully qualified hosting. I folowed all the steps in moving site to server documentary. created the database and dumped the sql backed up and created the tables. I also change all the parts .The site is running, front end is running and the admin as well is working but when I tried to edit a chunk or snippet, I got the error msg, Unable to establish database connection. Please where did I go wrong? What Can I do. Any tip is appreciated. Thanks
    • Did you re-rerun the installer in upgrade mode?

Are you on a super-inexpensive and busy shared server? DB connections can loose out on overloaded servers.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 30 Posts
        Hi rthrash, no I didnt re-run the installer in upgrade mode. And the server is not overloaded yet smiley .Its a dedicated server with about 4 small sites and 2 big ones. However, when I checked to edit a chunk again, the error msg didnt come and it worked.
        Could it be my internet connection? It could be way slow sometimes? Thanks as usual for the help.
        • It’s a good idea when moving sites to re-run the installer in upgrade mode (with all the resources unchecked so you don’t overwrite data) to rebuild your config file.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 30 Posts
            Oh ohh, so whats the implication of my not doing that? Performance issues? What am i to expect? The admin is working ok but I cant be so sure