We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 215 Posts
    Well, they really should understand what that means, it’s their business wink To be absolutely correct, ask them, if your php-scripts do run under your own user-id.
    Another way is to check their FAQ: If they talk about ’chmod 777’ to make something work, they’ll most probably don’t have php run suexeced (=under your uid).
      • 898 Posts
      If you need a cheap shared hosting environment for web apps, you can check out dreamhost.com. I use rochenhost.com for my sites that mean anything. They are more expensive but so is downtime and slowtime.

Chuck
        Chuck the Trukk
        ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
        - - - - - - - -
        What are TV's? Here's some info below.
        http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
        http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
        • 190 Posts
        Another question: I got this reply:
        chmod failed on: ./assets/cache/siteCache.idx.php (0666 x)
        chmod failed on: ./assets/cache/sitePublishing.idx.php (0666 x)
        chmod failed on: ./manager/includes/config.inc.php (0777 x)

(Where ’x’ would be my username).
        I guess I can do the chmods manually, but what values should I use? I think the values listed above are the current ones, right?
        Thanks!
          Thanks for MODx - I love it!
          • 4,213 Posts
          use 0777 (also chmod the cache folder, not just the files), but change confic.inc.php back to what it is currently immediately after installing.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 190 Posts
            Quote from: doze at Sep 15, 2006, 07:06 PM

use 0777 (also chmod the cache folder, not just the files), but change confic.inc.php back to what it is currently immediately after installing.
            Thanks for your help, but (excuse my ignorance) config.inc.php currently is 777. I remember the MODX installer made me change the chmod values for these files manually to what they are now, otherwise it wouldn’t install at all.
            Also, I don’t really understand how chmodding these files to 777 makes my install more secure, could you please explain some more? Thanks!
              • 7,075 Posts
              Maybe it was not clear, but the installer needs config.inc.php to be CHMODed to 777 so that it can write to it your config.
              After install, you have to CHMOD it to 644 so that nobody can modify it, for obvious security reason...
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                • 190 Posts
                Quote from: davidm at Sep 16, 2006, 09:25 AM

After install, you have to CHMOD it to 644 so that nobody can modify it, for obvious security reason...

Ah, this makes sense, yes. Thanks! smiley