We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 53 Posts
    I read somewhere that it was possible to have your css file lying in the manager menu. I created a new document and gave it the document type css/text.

How do I setup the linkage between the template and the css file ?. It really makes sense that you can edit your css file from the adminsection.
      • 1,495 Posts
      I think all you need to do is set the address of tour link to css into the address to access your css from browser. The link will be like the other page that you create using MODx.

Hope it works
        Wendy Novianto
        [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
        [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
      • It works fine.

I’ve heard rumors of color-coded syntax-highlighting javascript-based editors, maybe someday somebody will find one and plug it into the Manager editing system for chunks, snippets, and css documents.
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 7,075 Posts
          Now that would be cool, and yeah I had raised this since and Zi had mentionned a tool which I still have to check.

Another thing while we’re discussing this... I did not try yet, but when your CSS are MODx documents with content-type: css, are they parsed by MODx ? I mean how great would that be to have dynamic content in CSS files ? Can you imagine the potential use of this, like maybe conditionnal testing in CSS smiley ? Am I unraving there ?
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 204 Posts
            Amazing, we’re talking about that in french forum laugh.

So I wonder the same as David.

What about this ?
            Could TVs & bindings permit a kind of dynamic CSS ?

(David mon anglais étant approximatif, je te laisse le soin de corriger si ce que j’écris est absolument incompréhensible wink)
              • 53 Posts
              I could also see some great perspectives in passing values to the css file. I could find i t useful in lots of situations. Imagine Building blocks like headers, footers that have different width or height which would be a more helpful way of changing stylesheets for the less code-oriented people.

• 3,975 Posts
                @ Does MODx parse other Content-type documents ?

YES!, you can use snippets/chunks etc. in your all text/css assigned documents as well as others.

So, what you say wink ?

regards,

zi
                  Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                • Quote from: davidm at Jan 14, 2006, 09:29 AM

Another thing while we’re discussing this... I did not try yet, but when your CSS are MODx documents with content-type: css, are they parsed by MODx ? I mean how great would that be to have dynamic content in CSS files ? Can you imagine the potential use of this, like maybe conditionnal testing in CSS smiley ?  Am I unraving there ?
                  You mean like is done in the MODx blog CSS? Point your browser to http://modxcms.com/blog.css and realize that the top comment came from a chunk but just as easily could’ve been a snippet, TV or placeholder. wink

MODx is the first CMS to easily support dynamic CSS I’m pretty sure. How’s that for a first!
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    Quote from: rthrash at Jan 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
                    You mean like is done in the MODx blog CSS? Point your browser to http://modxcms.com/blog.css and realize that the top comment came from a chunk but just as easily could’ve been a snippet, TV or placeholder. wink

MODx is the first CMS to easily support dynamic CSS I’m pretty sure. How’s that for a first!

Man, I can’t even fathom all the things I’ll be able to imagine and do with that, it’s amazing ! And guys : it’s another big selling item for those customize-thirsty designer grin More AMMO for Marketing ! Why oh why didn’t we advertise this ??

Hmmm, thanks for the blog.css link but how are we supposed to know what the original css was before parsing ? In other words, can we see the unparsed CSS ?
                      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                    • All that is in the unparsed CSS is a chunk at the top that inserts the comment... nothing particularly tricky and it was a test on a whim. However the fact that it works and will also work for snippets/placeholders meands we can do some very very cool things now.

And the reason it wasn’t advertised before now is because we never really got around to playing with it... now we can! Heck, entire articles have been written on the subject many places on the web.
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me