We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    And that functionality is already part of the 1.0 effort.
    Yehyeh: almost every second reply from the core/foundation team mentions and promises GreatThingsToCome - either with 0.9.5 (overdue!) or 1.0 surmounting all my expectations.

Be honest: I’m currently considering moving from exploring/prototyping to the real stuff. Should I try it with the current version, or does it pay to wait some weeks (up to a month or so) for TheNextBigModxThing??
    To be honest myself: I do not want to get involved into backward-compatibility issues, and all the promises make me think that there will be a lot of them!
    • Quote from: ppaul at Jun 28, 2006, 08:32 PM

Yehyeh: almost every second reply from the core/foundation team mentions and promises GreatThingsToCome - either with 0.9.5 (overdue!) or 1.0 surmounting all my expectations.

Be honest: I’m currently considering moving from exploring/prototyping to the real stuff. Should I try it with the current version, or does it pay to wait some weeks (up to a month or so) for TheNextBigModxThing??
      To be honest myself: I do not want to get involved into backward-compatibility issues, and all the promises make me think that there will be a lot of them!

I absolutely say try it with the current version. It does not pay to wait for anything, IMO. This is still a 100% volunteer-based open-source project; I’m deploying and building sites daily with the current code, working on 1.0 as I can afford to. That means I may plan on having it done in x amount of time, but these are merely estimates and things could change at anytime. Important thing is though, unless you are planning on hacking the core or writing a lot of direct to MODx core tables functionality in your efforts, there is no reason to fear what is coming. I simply mention it so people know there are efforts underway in certain areas and so maybe they’ll contact us if they are interested in contributing or just participating in the planning/implementation of these features by joining the discussion.

There will of course almost always be migration steps when making the kind of fundamental improvements and feature additions we’re talking about, but there will be a migration guide, and my vision includes handling a good portion of backwards compat issues via optional add-ons that can parse the old tag formats and properly translate the old API calls. Only components that directly access core data tables will require migration, and I’ve already done several component migrations against my early prototypes that took a matter of minutes with the new object-oriented API and data access layer.

In addition, I don’t see the 0.9.x line being forgotten about just because 1.0 is introduced, and hope that it will continue to receive bug fixes and possibly new features even after some have chosen to move on to 1.0.
        • 1 Posts
        Thank you, Jason! So I will use MODx only for smaller projects. Whenever versioning or "workflowing" is required, I have to use another system. Bringing these functionality to the 0.9 branch would require more development-time and knowledge than I have. And even worse: My efforts would be very likely to become outdated with 1.0.
        It’s a pity, since the optimal situation for me - and others - would be to learn (=invest time) in a universal solution.
        However, I understand quite well the conditions and limitations of an open-source, unfunded development project. But you have come so far with your excellent product, would be a shame to slow down.
        Considering all the announcements made for 1.0 I’m arguing whether you have planned more than can be achieved within a reasonable or predictable time. This could induce a high risk for the whole project, since it can undermine the motivation of the developers as well as the confidence of the users.
        Nevertheless: I will stay tuned and spend some weekends studying your code. This is more for fun than for productivity, though. smiley
        • Considering all the announcements made for 1.0 I’m arguing whether you have planned more than can be achieved within a reasonable or predictable time. This could induce a high risk for the whole project, since it can undermine the motivation of the developers as well as the confidence of the users.
          That’s because you’ve not seen it actually working. The core is done and now it’s time to bolt on a new manager. smiley
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1 Posts
            Indeed: that’s why! laugh
            Thanks for the good news!