We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 701 Posts
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend any open source project management software. I’ve been using base camp and Action method, but wondered if there is anything I can host myself thats does the same job for a lot cheaper.

Thanks

Ben
      • 428 Posts
      Hi,
      Here is a quick list:
      Collabtive is probably the best way to go, even if it’s still in beta...
        Intégrateur web freelance
        • 701 Posts
        Quote from: Fairytree at Jan 15, 2010, 08:08 PM

Hi,
        Here is a quick list:
        Collabtive is probably the best way to go, even if it’s still in beta...

Nice one thanks, collabtive does look the best option.

Thanks

Ben
          • 76 Posts
          I was using collabtive for a while, but had some issues with it scrambling word docs >:( Not sure if it was the program or my installation/server. I was flat out at the time so didn’t have any time to sort it out.

I’m thinking that google wave + google docs could probably be used for PM reasonably well, just a matter of getting a workpath down.
            • 884 Posts
            I’m using opengoo (now Feng Office) and love it. very nice app.
              • 160 Posts
              I like Redmine. It can be difficult to set up though.
              • I’ve been pretty happy with Unfuddle. The free version is a bit limited, but suitable for some projects. I have some clients using BaseCamp, but honestly, I don’t think their prices are competitive -- Basecamp’s organization of posts/projects uses too big of buckets for my taste, and c’mon... BaseCamp has no SVN repos? Really?

I haven’t tried Collabtive, tho... but it looks like it offers a lot of nice features for free. The layout and links are too icon heavy for me... I don’t mind them, but good UI should always include text, imo. And some of the controls just are weird... e.g. you edit a project to change its name, and when you’re done making edits, you click "Send"? What?
                • Quote from: sinbad at Jan 20, 2010, 03:10 AM

I’m using opengoo (now Feng Office) and love it. very nice app.

Same here. It is great and in active development and a breeze to update when a new release arrives. We’ve even gotten clients to buy into using it (you can set permissions so they can only see information relevant to their projects). It’s great when a client is willing to login to your PM system and assign you a task. The ability to time task execution and to set billing and generate reports has proven appealing. Some clients are even considering using it in house for their own projects.
                    • 884 Posts
                    only thing I don’t like is that their forums are nothing like here. well nothing is like here smiley
                      • 82 Posts
                      Quote from: rfoster at Jan 30, 2010, 12:55 AM

I like Redmine. It can be difficult to set up though.
                      Another vote for redmine from me, fully featured and most of all free. Although I was lucky and didn’t have had any problems setting it up, it worked out of the box for me and had everything built in that I required.

Although I’ve just found this thread as I’ve got a new job where I’d like to link to Redmine from a modx site. I’d like to find out if it’s possible to setup one login account in modx that’ll allow automatic login to redmine.

Adrian