We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,611 Posts
    Quote from: rx2 at Dec 12, 2008, 06:02 PM

In all cases, the challenge is usually getting your team to buy into using it.
    Ain’t that the truth! This is the case with any system, but the more people you need to collaborate, the greater the challenge getting them to do it. I’ve actually had the most success getting people to just use shared Google Docs (probably because it’s very familiar to people), but of course that leaves a lot to be desired in terms of project management.
      "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
    • Although we did indeed like the detail level of dotProject when performance dropped due to the extensive use the interface did indeed become cumbersome. The new version may well be a great leap forward but we couldn’t wait any longer and for a number of reasons ActiveCollab is not an option (for the most part ROI).

However, we are now using Open Goo (www.opengoo.org) which is partly built on aC before it went paid open source and have been very happy with it. As usual, a bit of a learning curve but not much (and some items like permissions not being entirely obvious (such as the text beside the checkbox actually being the button/link that actually enables recursive permissions through the child workspaces). It is open source and a free download and we love the Smarty based interface (which users of the Revolution will instantly recognize.)
        • 1,611 Posts
        Quote from: ganeshXL at Jan 31, 2009, 05:19 PM

OpenGoo looks good, but here’s a quick question: Is it possible to generate a report as Excel or CSV? (tabular data I can re-use with OpenOffice)
        Last I looked, I don’t think this was possible yet. I remember that various export formats were in the works, however. That is a rather important feature, so hopefully it will be added soon (if it hasn’t yet).
          "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • Quote from: ganeshXL at Jan 31, 2009, 05:19 PM

OpenGoo looks good, but here’s a quick question: Is it possible to generate a report as Excel or CSV? (tabular data I can re-use with OpenOffice)
          I saw the demo, and searched their forum, but apparently such a function doesn’t exist. I think that’s a must-have though. Maybe that menu is hidden in an obscure place?

No idea. We don’t have any need for that. It’s a fairly active system however, and they do respond to feature requests (plus of course one can add features as needed.)
            • 4,205 Posts
            I can’t figure out how to create a project in Goo? Is a Workspace a Project? It seems full featured so it must be handy once you get it figured out.
              [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
              Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
            • Quote from: dev_cw at Feb 01, 2009, 05:37 PM

I can’t figure out how to create a project in Goo? Is a Workspace a Project? It seems full featured so it must be handy once you get it figured out.

Workspaces can be whatever you want them to be. We have a Projects workspace and then put sub-workspaces beneath it for each project. We set a milestone with the project due date as the project header in that workspace and then assign tasks with that milestone as the head milestone. Of course, this is just one way of many.

We also have workspaces for admin, accounting, tech support, etc and associate documents, comments, tasks, and so forth appropriately.
                • 1 Posts
                I suggest Kanban Tool, a great visual project management that now allows you to host it on your own infrastructure. A perfect platform for management of your workflow, collaboration and improving your business results. Self-hosted version is a perfect solution for those concerned about sending sensitive data to the cloud. Access your Kanban boards offline and do not worry about internet connection. Visit http://kanbantool.com/kanban-tool-on-site to learn more.