We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 577 Posts
    I was just thinking ... ugh not again right grin

Wouldn’t it be easier to simplify the template going ons?

I am still trying to get a grip on all this so please bear with me.

I was thinking that:

templates/
    -- ABC/
    -- -- images/
    -- -- abc.css
    -- -- files/

As a basic setup. If everything needed for a template is centrally located then there isn’t a need to go searching all over yonder to find such and cush image. The current default template is pulling images from the manager. I’m sure that this was a temporary solution but if we have a clean example to start off with I’m sure that many will follow that pattern automatically.

You could even have it so that when you install a template that the installer just drops everything in place for you too laugh
      Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • 577 Posts
      Since I’m still up.

Here’s another thought.

What about moving the template directory out of the assets directory? So you’d have:

assets/
      index.php
      manager/
      templates/

basically, you’d make the organization a bit more full proof. No need to dig around in silly what ever those are areas and files.

just an idea laugh
        Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • One of the great things about MODx as compared to other CMS systems: it doesn’t force you to use any particular structure to build your sites. Feel free to organize your templates however you are most comfortable.
          • 577 Posts
          Thanks for the reply.

I was just thinking along the lines of beginner to the system. Making it simple might be a benefit. Of course, the power and possiblity to do something different is always nice to have!

Cheers
            Tangent-Warrior smiley
            • 1 Posts
            FWIW, I definitely concur that the proper place for the template is assets/. Ditto for the config.inc.php file. Anything site specific should be there.
            • And css files should be documents now anyway. Much nicer than edit/ftp, edit/ftp (edit, forget to ftp and wonder why your chage isn’t showing up rolleyes )
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • That’s a matter of opinion in this case; I absolutely prefer to develop my CSS in a traditional editor externally. As a document in the system, I would have to cut and paste into the editor for every change I wanted to preview. When developing locally, all I do is edit the CSS and hit refresh. Then upload it to the production site once I’m done.

Now I’m not trying to say your way isn’t a good approach, just that it’s a matter of preference supported by the great flexibility of our coveted MODx.
                  • 3,975 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Aug 13, 2005, 06:37 PM

(edit, forget to ftp and wonder why your chage isn’t showing up rolleyes )

:D laugh laugh

at AAPI website, it happened with me lol, just spent 1 full hour to investigate what happened to it !!

...and of course its a matter of preference !

kind regards,

zi
                    Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link