We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 101 Posts
    Hi,

After a recent install I am getting the Config file still writable! warning message, but the file has been set by the server admins to read only. (I see EVERY file and folder as writable when looking at them in an FTP client, even when I upload one I know I have set to read only).

I see this problem is a persistent one on the forum and that MODx/IIS don’t seem to be able to read these permissions correctly (most of the problems are using Evo though).

What I’d like to know is if the server admins are saying its read only from their end, is it really? Am I safe to ignore the warning or will I still need to find a solution?

Oh, and BTW does anyone have a solution?

Does a list of the optimum (security wise) permissions settings for files and folders exist?
      • 2,310 Posts
      For Evolution on IIS I’ve found sending a RAW Command via the FTP client usually works.
      I highlight/select the manager/includes/config.inc.php file and then send the RAW Command site READONLY config.inc.php
      Obviously you’ll need to adjust to suit Revolution.
        • 101 Posts
        Thanks,

I’ve tried all kinds of RAW commands now, using Transmit on Mac, but nothings helping, are you sayng by ’Obviously you’ll need to adjust to suit Revolution.’ the directory paths or is there someting else that might need to be altered?
          • 2,310 Posts
          I meant navigate to wherever the Revo config file is, select it, send the RAW command, but use site READONLY name.of.config.file
          • Hi

The site ReadOnly filename is a specific script used on the FTP Servers at onesmarthost which basically sets the read-only flag on the file in Windows.

aType we find that although our servers have the correct NTFS permissions MODx is still checking the basic windows permission which shows this error, you may find that in your hosting control panel you have the option to set read-only properties, if that does not work you would need to contact your host to set this for you.

Aaron.
              http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
              UK MODX Hosting with love.
              • 2,310 Posts
              Ah, I didn’t realise it was something you’d setup, I assumed all IIS servers had it.
              Just goes to show what a great host you are grin
              • Quote from: bunk58 at Jul 06, 2011, 07:11 AM

Ah, I didn’t realise it was something you’d setup, I assumed all IIS servers had it.
                Just goes to show what a great host you are grin

I try smiley

One thing that you could try aType is create a php file with the following:

<?php
                chmod("core/config/config.inc.php", 0444);
                ?>

You may want to double check the path it may be wrong above.

Upload this to your website and run the page in your browser you should get a blank page if it all works OK and the config warning should disappear.

Aaron
                  • 101 Posts
                  I have actually tried that (from another forum - http://modxrules.com/articles/remove-config-file-still-writable-warning-on-windows) but as with your code I get the error:

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Permission denied in D:\Sites\mywebsite.com\www\chmod.php on line 2

I’m guessing it’s the hosts’ strict permissions settings?

I have contacted them about changing this file to read-only and they say they have, I think they said it is showing read-only but MODx says it’s not, and my FTP program (Transmit) says it’s not).

The host’s support was trying to join he forum but is there a manual approval - he hasn’t been able to join in.
                  • Hi,

Ask your host to do this

Right click the file in Windows
                    Select properties
                    Tick the read only box on this screen click OK to save.

I suspect they are just looking at the Windows NTFS Security permissions.

Thanks Aaron
                      • 101 Posts
                      Thanks, you must be one excellent host, that fixed it, no more warning. Your help is very much appreciated.

This IIS permissions system is doing my head in - onward into the MS blue yonder. (There be sea monsters here!) shocked