We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 37 Posts
    Is it possible to do? I’m not so much experienced. I would like to migrate from Windows XP Apache (WAMP) ti Windows 2003 IIS6. Stand alone installation works fine, so I’m ready for putting my website online. What should I do?
      • 2,310 Posts
      One of the main issues is FURL’s and not being able to use .htaccess.
      ISAPI Rewrite may be available which solves some of the problems.
      I moved one MODx sit from a LAMP server to an IIS one.
      Good luck

David
        • 37 Posts
        I’m not familiar with FURL but have already read some solutions to the problem. Can you explain a bit detailed how to do migration: what file should I copy and where, what else should I do. Thank you in advance.
          • 2,310 Posts
          Is this a commercial host running IIS or a home machine?
            • 37 Posts
            Home machine, so we can do what ever you like to it grin
            Would be nice to know what is better and more reliable on 2003 - Apache or IIS
              • 2,310 Posts
              I think 90%of people here run Apache!
                • 37 Posts
                In different words: you want community support - install apache...
                  • 2,310 Posts
                  The IIS forum is available but the majority of the community are more able to help with Apache.
                  I have one site on an IIS server and the rest on LAMP servers.
                  There are also lots of "setting up a home web server" help sites, again mainly aimed at LAMP machines.
                  Also there is a lot of open source software/interfaces like "webmin" to help you manage your server.
                  That’s my limited experience in a nutshell.
                  David
                  • In terms of moving a MODx apache (existing site) to IIS6 the process is fairly straight froward, but it generally comes down to how the IIS server is setup and that all the PHP Functions are enabled in PHP.INI and also sessions and the permissions on the folder which MODx requires.

I have found in the past setting up IIS6 on a local PC is sometimes challenging as you have to install PHP, MYSQL separately but once all this is done it works fine.

IIS6 doesn’t support .htaccess so you would need an ISAPi driver to do this for you, if its a single local site you could use one called ISAPI_Rewrite which is free for single sites, or pay for the commerical version.

I’ve found that MODx is mainly run on Apache as a lot of web hosts are setup very well for PHP and their core use is for PHP where’s IIS is more geared up for ASP technologies, that said to date I’ve had zero problems running MODx on IIS and the support I get from the forums or resources also work fine.

http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
                      UK MODX Hosting with love.
                      • 37 Posts
                      Sounds fair! IIS vs Apache even in me! But I’ll stay with apache I’m planning my future with ModX and I wat it more easy grin THX, guys