We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    I’ve had a few fires to put out since I last posted but I’m still working on the tutorials. Instead of using text/html/pdf, etc. I am using video capture software. Creating a tutorial in this manner is new for me and this to has delayed completion.

It’ll be worth it when I’m finished though.

Just keeping you guys posted.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I forgot...downgrade to 5.2.3 if you count on SSL functionality using PHP for anything. Also, 5.2.3 is exhibiting weirdness with the file_exists() function. Example weirdness:
    <? if(file_exists(’my-relative-file-name.txt’)) include(’my-relative-file-name.txt’); ?>
    file_exists() returns false for relative files EVEN IF THE FILE DOES EXIST in the same directory with the executing script, and only on Windows 2000, Windows XP -- Windows 2003 is still being tested. Apache2 on FreeBSD6 works as expected. Using "./" or ".\" as a supplement only renders fatal errors. (This is one of the fires I mentioned putting out.)
    We’re still running 5.2.2 in production as 5.2.3 and 5.2.4 have issues with Win32.
    • We’re still running 5.2.2 in production as 5.2.3 and 5.2.4 have issues with Win32.
      So much for that Zend/Microsoft partnership a while back that was going yield more stable versions of PHP to run on Windows. rolleyes

Looking forward to see the completed tutorials, keep up the good work smiley
        Garry Nutting
        Senior Developer
        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
        Twitter: @garryn
        Web: modx.com
        • 19 Posts
        No kidding..."platform independent" my @ss. tongue

Here’s another good one:

<? echo $_SERVER[’PATH_TRANSLATED’]; ?>

The scriptname is included using Apache2, but on Windows with IIS it is the path to the root of the web site, which are two completely different paths.
          • 13 Posts
          It’s crazy the kind of problems you can have when working with one server vs. another...

We’ve kinda come up with a solution that we like, and it seems to be a bit more flexible than just running one Web Server vs. another.

We use Apache with ModX and PHP 5.2.4 on WIndows 2003 Server R0 Standard. Apache + ModX runs beautifully... one slight problem -- We can’t use ASP forms without having to recode them all to PHP. A look at Perl’s Apache::ASP revealed that we would still need to rewrite forms.. We came up with a more fun solution! grin grin grin

We have apache pointed to our ModX folder, and our old site pointed to mysite-old’s folder. We run IIS on port 8900, and Apache on Port 80.

We use Apache’s mod_proxy and mod_proxy_http to set up our site so that we can point www.mysite.com/oldsite --> IIS on 8900 [on same server, but could be on different box].

Works like a charm, and is NOT slow, like I expected.

Not the solution we wanted, but it works!

See Ya!
          ~Brant
            • 19 Posts
            What about FPSE? Is it functional now since you are using Apache/PHP and IIS for just ASP?
              • 13 Posts
              We have FPSE working in IIS (and have it running on a port other than 80). We use Apache’s ProxyPass directives to allow stuff from IIS to display as /somevirtualdir . We connect to the IIS Server with FPSE using the odd ball port number that we assigned to it. This works great, since we don’t have anybody from off campus that needs to edit the pages!

I can get you some example config files if you’re interested.

Thanks!
              ~DaFyre
                • 7 Posts
                The error can’t be in the server setup / config. Any programmer can see it is an infinite look in the code... i’m going to take a peek and see if it can be fixed. I guess if i’m right it should be patched in the official release.
                • There was an IIS bug in the 0.9.6.1 release; you can see the fix at http://svn.modxcms.com/trac/tattoo/changeset?new=tattoo%2Ftrunk%2Fmanager%2Fincludes%2Fprotect.inc.php%403282&old=tattoo%2Ftrunk%2Fmanager%2Fincludes%2Fprotect.inc.php%402214

Update to trunk or apply the patch linked at the bottom of that page.
                    • 7 Posts
                    Thanks for the tip off! I will check it out...