We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    Hello all,

this is my first post on this forum. I couldn’t find an answer anywhere else (maybe I just didn’t look well enough...) so I’ll try it this way.

I was looking for an easy way to get friendly URL’s on IIS, but not the standard ones like ’page2.html’.

I found that the use of ISAPIRewrite and a slight modification of the DocumentParser class (11 new lines of code) would allow me to have URL’s like www.mydomain.com/Welcome_to_my_website, where "Welcome to my website" is the title of the page in question.

Of course it’s not advisable to modify this class in the light of future updates, so I was wondering if there’s another way to incorporate my code into ModX. Also, if I’ve just re-invented the wheel, I’d appreciate it if someone could show me the original wheel...

Peter
    • Moving to the appropriate forum, where this was discussed just last week. smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 6 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Aug 14, 2007, 12:11 PM

Moving to the appropriate forum, where this was discussed just last week. smiley

Thanks, I guess I’m having a bit of an off day... wink
          • 218 Posts
          Afaik you can do this by simply not entering a suffix in the MODx sef configuration settings, and make a little change to the ISAPI rewrite rule you use.

Olaf
            • 6 Posts
            Hoi Olaf, Peter hier!

I don’t think that does the same, really. I see no reference to the pagetitle in regards to the URL in the DocumentParser class.
            • Quote from: Zaph at Aug 14, 2007, 01:28 PM

I don’t think that does the same, really. I see no reference to the pagetitle in regards to the URL in the DocumentParser class.
              Aliases can be automatically created from your page title (see the Automatically Generate Alias option in Friendly URL tab of the Tools --> Configuration), after being run through a function to remove characters that would be invalid in a URL.
                • 6 Posts
                Quote from: OpenGeek at Aug 14, 2007, 03:14 PM

Aliases can be automatically created from your page title (see the Automatically Generate Alias option in Friendly URL tab of the Tools --> Configuration), after being run through a function to remove characters that would be invalid in a URL.

I feel a little stupid now...I really need to check things out better before asking questions.

Thank you!
                  • 218 Posts
                  there is not something as a stupid question smiley
                    • 6 Posts
                    Quote from: olafmol at Aug 15, 2007, 12:29 PM

there is not something as a stupid question smiley

No, but there is something like a stupid Peter... wink
                      • 218 Posts
                      if you say so! smiley
                      next time you can buy me a beer if this solved your problem smiley