We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 40 Posts
    Hey,

I’m totally new to modx. I installed modx successfully, but when I try to login it gives me ’incorrect username or password’. Of course the password is correct. When I request a new one using the forgot password feature, the link in the email send to me also gives me ’incorrect username or password’.

I tried searching for an answer since it would seem to me I am not the only one with this problem, however I was unable to find anything. Sorry if this has been answered before.

thanks

PHP4 - Windows 2000 server - IIS6 - latest modx version - mysql
    • This happened to me once on a new install I’m not sure if something went wrong during install, have you tried dropping the mysql table and reinstalling MODx again as it worked for me?

Thanks
      Aaron
        http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
        UK MODX Hosting with love.
        • 40 Posts
        yep multiple times. I remember that nothing at all went wrong during installation, it striked me at the time because that doesnt happen too often to me.
          • 40 Posts
          I got new data: it only happens in firefox, there is no problem in internet explorer.

- I’m using FF 2.0.0.4
          - cookies are enabled, although no cookies are set (it might be too early for that though).
          - i have no problems accessing the demo installation at http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Still no clue what’s going on.
          • Are you able to log into the mysql database using something like phpmyadmin?

Looking back at your original post are you getting a dialog box popup prompting for a user name and password? If thats the case it could be a folder NTFS security permissions problem.

Aaron.
              • 40 Posts
              yes, no problems with the database. shouldn’t that have become obvious during installation? Anyway, phpmyadmin works perfect.

No, i know the dialog box you are talking about, its not that one. it just says ’Incorrect username or password entered!’. Also, if it is a security issue on the server that would mean it wouldn’t workin IE as well right?
              • Hmm strange,

Re security issue show in IE in the past on sites I’ve done on my local machine sometimes in firefox i get a dialog pop up for user name and password but then IE is fine something to do with ie using system ntfs perms as both always work after i reset security perms.

Hopefully someone on MODx can help you on this as Ive not seen this error in a windows environment before.

Thanks
                Aaron
                  • 40 Posts
                  weird isn’t it? Here are the complete headers that are sent by IIS and the ones sent by the browser (i believe it’s an ajax call): The set-cookie part seems weird to me; data is overwritten there. Also, what’s the point of setting cookies when the password is wrong?

Response headers
                  Server	Microsoft-IIS/5.0
                  Date	Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:57:25 GMT
                  MicrosoftOfficeWebServer	5.0_Pub
                  X-Powered-By	ASP.NET, PHP/4.3.8
                  Connection	close
                  Content-Type	text/html
                  Set-Cookie	SN466979d31b777=89b8d0c4922e12281b2e5f602a93ffbe; path=/ SN466979d31b777=89b8d0c4922e12281b2e5f602a93ffbe; path=/speeltuin/modx/
                  Expires	Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
                  Cache-Control	no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
                  Pragma	no-cache

Request Headers
                  Host	intranet
                  User-Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
                  Accept	text/javascript, text/html, application/xml, text/xml, */*
                  Accept-Language	nl,en-us;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
                  Accept-Encoding	gzip,deflate
                  Accept-Charset	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
                  Keep-Alive	300
                  Connection	close
                  X-Requested-With	XMLHttpRequest
                  X-Prototype-Version	1.5.0_rc1
                  Content-Type	application/x-www-form-urlencoded
                  Referer	http://intranet/speeltuin/modx/manager/
                  Content-Length	62
                  Cookie	SN466979d31b777=89b8d0c4922e12281b2e5f602a93ffbe; sessionid=9e61757bd8cc86274ceec99394350a8f; username=erikp; style=Light Green; SN466979d31b777=89b8d0c4922e12281b2e5f602a93ffbe
                  Pragma	no-cache
                  Cache-Control	no-cache

this is in the post-information (the password is different):

ajax	1
                  password	supersecret
                  rememberme	1
                  username	admin