We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    I am running ModX 0.9.5 with Windows IIS 5.0. No matter what I do to change the permissions on the config.inc.php file (other than remove all permissions, which causes a site error), I still get the following error in the ModX Manager:

Configuration warning: ’Config file still writable’

What does this mean?
    Very naughty people could potentially wreak some havoc on your site and everything associated with it. Really. Please make your config file (/manager/includes/config.inc.php) read only!

I understand that the file should be read-only, and that is exactly what I have it set at: Read only for the IUSR_machinename user, but still no luck. Is this a bug? What might I be missing?
      • 34 Posts
      You are not alone - but for some reason IIS is not really well used here - rolleyes

I only use it because I have WSUS running as well on my stage2 development server as my stage1 - laptop - isn’t really conducive to showing clients versions of there site.

So far I haven’t found a solution - bar disabling the check as an option - but I haven’t attempted that.

It seems that IIS & MODx cannot tell if a file is read/write - even read only files show up as writable - even on install which causes problems with config.inc.php
        • 4 Posts
        I was having the same problem using windows hosting and fixed it with what I put in this thread.

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,11470.0.html

Hope that helps
        • Best way to fix IIS: switch to Apache. tongue
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • In all fairness, that’s a sarcastic remark. IIS definitely is the right solution for some people, and my personal preference to use Apache is just that: my personal preference (though in similar fairness shared by a large majority of folks that run MODx on servers).

The good thing though is that we now have a dedicated IIS support forum, so thank you for starting this thread!

Anyone want to step up to moderate here?
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • Just got back from my skiing holidays with a broken wrist sad

I would be happy to help out and have lots of experience with IIS working with PHP scripts, and of course Modx smiley The majority of my clients now use modx as well..
                http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
                UK MODX Hosting with love.