We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 73 Posts
    I’ve had a reseller package via Knet Hosting for around 18 months now - plus have various clients using them with their own hosting packages.

The guys at Knet have in the past been really good at sorting issues out, however they do keep tweaking software and servers, and last week for the majority of one day (not the first time), I was unable to get into the manager on any of the accounts on my reseller platform.

There response below raises a few questions - is there a dramatic difference between CPU usage between EVO versions 1.2 and 1.5 as I have a mixture of both on the reseller platform.

Currently I’m assessing my options, I could upgrade to a VPS solution via Knet or go elsewhere.

Knet do seem to struggle with permission settings and the like - every new account that is setup involves having to turn magic quotes off then change permissions so snippets can be added - but like I say we get there in the end!

If I go the VPS route is there a "text book" setup for MODx that I should ask them for?

Apologies for the delay, firstly I’ll outline what changes were made to your server:

All our newer servers are setup different to our older ones, the major drawback of the older servers are the issues you have already come across, e.g. permissions, controlling php settings etc. On our newer servers they are setup so that they do not have these issues, we were simply updating our older servers to eliminate these problems.

We expected the process to go without issue for the majority of customers but as you have noticed this was not the case and there were a few issues, we apologise for this.

Now down to the issue affecting your websites, the new software we installed has the ability to limit an accounts overall memory, CPU and concurrent processes, this greatly helps with server stability as it stops individual customers affecting the server performance for the majority. Unfortunately your account was reaching the memory limit (512MB) when logged into the admin area, I actually had to increase the limit to 2GB of memory before it would work, which is a massive amount for any one software process to be using, I am afraid I am not familiar enough to answer why the software was using this much but the only things I can suggest are making sure its up to date with all patches, or failing that ask the ModX support oif they have any idea.
    • There shouldn’t be much if any difference with cpu/memory usage in Evolution (1.0.x), Revolution (2.0.x or 2.1.x) is a different story.

If you are unhappy with your host then yes, you should change, but as long as you are happy with the support you are getting, stay where you are happiest.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 109 Posts
        just a quck note - I realize this is an old topic, but in case you are still struggling:

Knet's response sounds like they may have gone to Cloud Linux, which essentially means you should find new hosting for your MODx sites!

OK, kidding - it's some frustration talking there; but I'm going on 6 months of no solutions, and more and more hosts are "upgrading" to Cloud sad

So if you did work it out somehow, please post, I would love to know what you did. [ed. note: unsub777 last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
        • Unsub777,

Could you elaborate on your problems some? Perhaps we can help.
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting