We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 120 Posts
    I have been using hostcolor for approx 3 months. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have been good at hosting my modx sites and their 15 minute response to issues are great. There are certain people who you do not want to deal with but that is the case with anyone.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.

-Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
      • 1,624 Posts
      I personally do not like them.

They offer VPS solutions with no ssh support. You cannot even use sftp or I could not find the config for it.
      The way they name the databases is very "funny"
      Somehow my database got corrupted at download(not sure why but I lost my data)
      The modx version they have is very old.
      My evo install did not work the first time. The landing page for the manager was blank. This a real issue. I installed 2 times. Same behaviour
      You cannot unzip a file using their "weeble file manager" so you have to wait 1 hr to upload an unziped version of modx.

Not sure what to think anymore.
        • 9 Posts
        Hi,
        I am a Host Color representative and wanted to just take part of this discussion regarding our services. Can you please tell me what do you mean by "They offer VPS solutions with no ssh support. You cannot even use sftp or I could not find the config for it."

All our VPS solutions have full SSH access and have all standard features included. However, the pre-installed configuration does not have control panel but you may always order any control panel and install it on the VPS. We do offer environment for MODx and many other programs, but this is part of our Managed offers.

Can you please contact me or our support team with your account name so we can see what is the issue and help you right away.

Thank you for your time
        Alexander
          HostColor.com - Quality MODx Web Hosting
          • 1,624 Posts
          Hi Alexander,

I do not have time to deal with this at the moment.

Anyway thx for your concern and I will try to contatct your representatives ASAP.
            • 1,624 Posts
            Ok

so

My bad about the VPS and ssh. It seems my client did not buy a VPS solution but he told me he did.
            Sorry about that.
              • 9 Posts
              Hi,
              No problems smiley, I just wanted to make sure that we did not do anything wrong and was trying to offer you assistance regarding the account.

Of course, feel free to contact us at any time and me and my colleagues, we will be happy to help you.

Thanks
              Alexander
                • 32 Posts
                I believe HostColor sucks.
                They’re not recommended.
                  Best regards,
                  Mike

MODx Revolution 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 powered by PHP 5.3.5 / Apache 2.2.17 / MySQL 5.0.7 on Shared hosting
                  MS Vista and FF 3.6.15 / Many dot com web sites.
                  Timezone: America/New_York
                • Quote from: mw11 at Mar 31, 2011, 12:49 AM

They’re not recommended.

i use hostcolor services 4 years and i have no problem wink
                    palma non sine pulvere
                    • 9 Posts
                    Quote from: mw11 at Mar 31, 2011, 12:49 AM

They’re not recommended.
                    Nice to know we "suck". Can you please tell me how did you come to this conclusion. I’d appreciate if you tell me more. Are you a customer? Did you experience any issues with our hosting services? I’m sorry for asking those questions, but it very impolite and irresponsible to go in public and so say "Any company sucks" just like that.

thank you for your time!