We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 38 Posts
    i am new to modx and am creating a site with about 50 pages. it is pretty much just brochureware for a law firm and not a lot of traffic. i really am only using modx so the firm can update the content themselves.

i am trying to choose a host to use. i was considering a basic shared hosting package at InMotion Hosting, but the sales rep alerted to me to the 64MB memory requirement at http://modxcms.com/learn/general-requirements.html (see ’For optimal results’ column). he then steered me to a VPS offering that has a 256MB quota.

now my question...
    for the site i described above, do i really need to go with a VPS with a minimum memory allocation of 64MB?

i see that hostcolor is a sponsor of this site, but they don’t seem to list the memory allocation for modx hosting. what are typical memory allocations for shared hosting? should i steer clear of them?

thanks.
    • Hello,

You don’t need a VPS server for that type of site and you don’t really need 64MB of memory. Yes, it’s recommended, but I find that my host (Site5) works fine with the 32mb default limit. I can increase it if I want with a php.ini file, but I have had no need at this point in time.

AMDbuilder
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
      • It honestly sounds to me that any shared hosting package from a reliable host would suffice.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • Yep, also if you ask sales for a hosting company they should be able to tell you the default php memory limit. If you are using 9.6.x you can likely get by with 16MB if you wanted to push the envelope some. I typically just keep the default php.ini files and thus far MODx has run great.

AMDbuilder
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • 38 Posts
            thanks for the responses.

i am checking out webfaction. their starting shared plan claims to provide 80mb of application memory.
              • 38 Posts
              installed on webfaction with no problems and manager seems snappy!
                • 3 Posts
                If you need VPS Hosting,then go with InMotion Hosting