We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 225 Posts
    I need help getting my wife off my ass. I just finished her site and I can’t install modx (newest version). This is the second modx site I will be deploying, so I am not a complete modx noob. I looked for an answer prior to my thread, but couldn’t find one.

Real quick, I am using Hostgator and they use suexec.

As soon as I click "install now" I get the internal server error. I have used two downloads just incase the first one was corrupted. I don’t remember having to do anything crazy when I installed modx for myself a few months ago. I tried installing with and without following the extra instructions about file permissions for *nix users, same results.

I am assuming it may be a problem with the .htaccess/ht.access file, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      • 225 Posts
      ya, about a thousand times to make sure I didn’t misread it. I tried it and it did no good.
      • You shouldn’t have an .htaccess file while installing, just the ht.access file that gets renamed later once things are set up properly.

If you’re running suexec, you should just be able to upload, then run the installer with no changes.
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 225 Posts
          I figured it out. Hostgator requires different file permissions than what the modx instructions say to change them to. I should have remembered that from the last time I installed modx. The really cool thing is that whoever at hostgator responded to my help ticket changed them for me. Man I love their service. Thanks for the help guys.
          • Quote from: deniro0311 at Jan 26, 2008, 09:49 AM

I figured it out. Hostgator requires different file permissions than what the modx instructions say to change them to. I should have remembered that from the last time I installed modx.
            I think that’s exactly what ganeshXL pointed out above. I’m assuming the permissions needed to be 755/644?
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 225 Posts
              755/644 is exactly right. I should have known that, but I can’t complain. I am up and running, and this forced me to finally document my installing/migrating routine. That will not happen again. Thanks for all the help.
                • 1,161 Posts
                I am dealing with this as well.

Can you explain how you changed the permissions to 755/644? Which files got changed?

Thanks,

Max
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Quote from: Photowebmax at Feb 03, 2008, 02:05 AM

I am dealing with this as well.

Can you explain how you changed the permissions to 755/644? Which files got changed?

Thanks,

Max

Usually this is done by going to cPanel (or the equivalent) at your host and clicking on "File Manager." In File Manager, you navigate to the file or directory you want to change (your site will normally be under public_html). You’ll see the permission numbers on the right as you go. When you get to the target file or directory, click on its name, then on "change permissions."

Bob
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 1,161 Posts
                    Thanks guys,

I discovered that the Transmit FTP program does this directly with a right click.

Now which files do I change? I am trying to get MODx to behave on Hostgator. I contacted Hostgator via their email support ticket system and asked them for specific changes I should perform.

This is the answer I received this AM:

"Hello,

Almost all php/mysql scripts would work on our servers. If you get the register_globals error it is very easy to fix it. We run phpsuexec and so you need to upload your own php.ini in your script folder with the text :

register_globals off

to have this done."

I sort of get what he is saying but I would like some clarity in what I supposed to do actually. I have no idea what phpsuexec is. Is a php.ini file some sort of special controller code I need to write? (as you can tell I know crap about PHP)

Thanks,

Max
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Before uploading, make sure there isn’t already a php.ini file there. Some hosts put their own there and it can’t hurt to check.

If there’s one there already, download it, add the line in a text editor, and upload it (or edit it in place if you know how).

Bob
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting