We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,205 Posts
    I am upgrading my server software and was wondering if apache 2.2 is stable enough for a production server and if there is any reason that I should not update from 1.3 to 2.2. I could also go to 2.0 but if 2.2 is available why not?

While I am at it I am also going to php5 and leaving php4 as an alternative by using .php4 extension (or using mod_rewrite to do it on the fly).

BTW - I am on a cPanel server running on CentOS 4.5
      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
      • 135 Posts
      II run cPanel too under the RELEASE tree and was pretty much forced to upgrade Apache because of some freak cPanel upgrade issue that caused my Apache to crash and refuse to restart. I figured I might as well upgrade, and I’ve been running Apache 2.2 since the day after RELEASE went to stage 2 (Early September?). It’s been very solid, not a single problem and my memory usage seems a bit lower than with 1.3. CPU is about the same. I also have mod_deflate installed so my page load times are pretty quick because of the compression, so that’s one of the cool features of 2.2. laugh

I’d say go for it. 2.2 has been out for awhile now so it should be pretty stable. smiley
        • 4,205 Posts
        Yeah, I went for it and all seems good so far. Thanks for the tips. It seems cPanel is finally catching up to the times.
          [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

• Avoid 2.2.6 though; I’ve noticed some very odd PHP problems with it in the latest XAMPP. And mod_perl is broken on that version as well. Just FYI...
            • 4,205 Posts
            shocked Oh no, that is exactly what I have installed. Oh well, I will stick with it and hope for the best, maybe it is a XAMPP issue.

Server Version: Apache/2.2.6

• 135 Posts
              Quote from: OpenGeek at Oct 14, 2007, 04:38 PM

Avoid 2.2.6 though; I’ve noticed some very odd PHP problems with it in the latest XAMPP. And mod_perl is broken on that version as well. Just FYI...
              Eek, I have that version installed too! lipsrsealed I haven’t noticed any issues though, but probably because I only run a few apps on my server. I don’t have any Perl stuff on my server (I migrated the few CGI scripts I had to PHP awhile back) so that’s not a problem... do the PHP problems affect MODx at all?

@dev_cw: Yep, it took them YEARS to finally support Apache 2! I was considering Interworx CP a few months ago because it’s had apache 2 support for some time now, but I couldn’t bring myself to switch. tongue