We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 332 Posts
    My account with Dreamhost will be expired in few days and I am seriously consider moving to MT. Is there difficulty to make the Friendly URL works with Media Temple’s server. I didn’t need to do anything with Dreamhost.

thanks!

tgp
      • 332 Posts
      Quote from: ganeshXL at Jun 16, 2007, 09:44 PM

As long as mod_rewrite is installed and you’re allowed to use your own custom .htaccess files, you should have no problems. Ask their support, if in doubt.

I switched to MT and the first thing I noticed is, the account center loads very slow jumping from one page to the other. Finally got the MODx site migrated, as soon as I was able to logo to the manager, I immediately notic it’s slow too, way too slow compare with Dreamhost. Is this because I haven’t change the nameservers? With Dreamhost, the document tree on the left and the right loads instanctenously and when a document is clicked, it takes less than 5 seconds to load whereas with MT, it’s about 20 - 40 seconds.

tgp
        • 3,250 Posts
        I have 5 sites with Media Temple and have no issues whatsoever. Both the frontend and backend are fast (always <1 second) and reliable.
          • 5 Posts
          Just out of curiosity, what is making you move away from Dreamhost?
            • 332 Posts
            server down 5 times in two years, of which in 2 times, I had no email, no website for over 2 days. Overall, I still think DH is a good company that has way too many bad lucks with its servers; I like the openness and honestly it has with its server issues and I enjoyed its newsletters. I had the worst experience with hostm.

I decided I need a better server, but MT hasn’t lived up to its reputation according to my experience. Actually I found it slower than DH.
            • The grid can be a bit slow at times. It’s a cool product though.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me