We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 697 Posts
    Hi,

Some of you are looking for an e-commerce cart system accepting credit cards.
    A simple solution is allowing credit cards payments via PayPal, without that the buyer need to have a PayPal account.

Today, I have been testing TreasureChest using dummy Visa and Mastercard credit cards that were generated from PayPal Sandbox accounts.

For the payment, the TreasureChest cart system redirected my fictive buyer to PayPal’s login page where he only had to fill the credit card infos and the address to where buyed products should be shipped.

The payment was of course performed via the PayPal’s Sandbox environment for these tests.

Here the results for both Visa and Mastercard payments:

- The payments were successful.

- The fictive buyer was informed by email about the successful
    transactions with all necessary details about the command

- The fictive merchant was informed by email about the successfull
    transactions with all necessary details.

- After the payment, the buyer was redirected to the "Thank you" voucher page
    on the merchant website. The voucher displayed correctly.

The redirection was not automatic despite this option was chosen
    in PayPal’s merchant account preferences, but an hyperlink to the "Thank you"
    page was displayed after the payment.
    This is a peculiarity when the payment is not performed from a PayPal account.

- For the payment with the Mastercard, TreasureChest’s sales table
    was correctly updated with the purchase.
    However, I’m not sure if it was done immediately or only after one hour.

- For the payment with the Visa card, TreasureChest’s sales table was not updated yet. I assume some time due to the (emulated?) credit card processor. We must keep in mind that the tests were run in a the fictive Sandbox environment; all credit card processing might be emulated by PayPal.

Conclusion:
    -----------

1) It is possible to accept credit cards via PayPal using a cart system such as TresureChest. The buyer does not need to have a PayPal account.

2) In the PayPal merchant account, preferences must be set to accept credit cards. There are higher fees with transactions done though credit cards, but this also mean higher sales.

3) The merchant should inform the buyer to carefully enter the address he gives for the shipping of the products, as it is not confirmed and it is hidden to the merchant if the user does not enter it.

4) The merchant should regularly check his mailbox as transactions might be notified later to the database when the payment is done using credit cards.