We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 99 Posts
    Does SEO have an issue with Javascript Tabs? i.e. using Ajax and JQuuery Tabs to open pages, does the information on those pages get searched well? Does anybody have some good experience with this?

Thank you.
      "Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
      -J.R.R. Tolkien from The Lord of the Rings
      • 101 Posts
        • 99 Posts
        Thank you Wowzow,

I will look at this.

Any actual experience with this? Thanks
          "Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
          • 4,205 Posts
          I would say that ajax loaded content will not get searched. Tabs that are built on markup will get searched. Lynx is a great way to check.
            [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
            Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
            • 2,314 Posts
            anonymized-26931 Reply #5, 14 years ago
            I would say that ajax loaded content will not get searched
            having a sitemap would help though
              • 101 Posts
              Quote from: tmcleroy at May 03, 2010, 03:43 PM

Thank you Wowzow,

I will look at this.

Any actual experience with this? Thanks

No prob, youre welcome.

My experience is: Google means it.

4 years ago, I experimented with putting one of my main menu links on a brand new site in javascript (the rest were regular html links). The js link was never crawled by google in over 2+ years (it was only a ’contact’ form/page, so no biggie). The regular menu links however, were crawled 4-5 times a week by google during those 2 years. I switched the js link back to regular html link (<a>) and it was crawled by googlebot two days later. And then listed in their search index 10 days later.

Knowing that, I always use css menus, and never javascript ones.

...try it yourself on a link you don’t care about being crawled or getting pagerank/seo for.
                • 99 Posts
                Thank you Wowzow and Sharkbait, Dev-cw!

This really helps. I was looking at a menu much like Sonic Foundry’s http://www.sonicfoundry.com/mediasite/ page on the right. But your comments have helped me to adjust my opinions here.

Like Sharkbait says, you would have to come back with a sitemap to get that search. And maybe javascript links for those things you do not want spammers to see?

• 101 Posts
                  Quote from: tmcleroy at May 03, 2010, 07:54 PM

This really helps. I was looking at a menu much like Sonic Foundry’s http://www.sonicfoundry.com/mediasite/ page on the right. But your comments have helped me to adjust my opinions here.

Certainly someone has written accordian style css menus by now in almost pure css (except for dynamically toggling "hide" to "display" on the css sheet, via javascript, of course)

If youre actually serious about seo, these are the way to go:
                  http://www.google.com/#q=css+menus
                  http://www.google.com/#q=css+accordion+menu
                  http://www.google.com/#q=pure+css+accordion+menu

• 99 Posts
                    Thank you Wowzow. I am looking into this. There is alot there and I am looking through to see if I can find one that fits the bill.

• 141 Posts
                      Hi There,
                      Accordian menu’s with Javascript are ok, as long as the content is not in the JavaScript file but is present in the page. I have developed a number of these menu styles and they have no problem being crawled by Google.

It’s also worth noting that up till last year Google didn’t crawl Javascript at all, however it has started to and will look for links within JavaScript. These links never have as much weight as a regular link but it does find them.

With the sonicfoundry website the links are in the HTML rather than within JavaScript and Google would (or is) able to crawl this menu (although it could be done a lot neater using CSS classes and JavaScript / Mootools.)