We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 103 Posts
    Moved this to: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,22708.0.html

Hello smiley

This might be a strange request but I hope someone can help smiley

I am using weblinks as containers and then the weblink redirects to an index page within the container...

Don’t ask why but it was for SEO issues ... I started using this in early 9.5

So an example of what happens is:

Visitor hits "...com/folder-name/" and they will be redirected to "...com/folder-name/index.html"

That works fine but the header generates a 301 redirect and now Google is giving me warnings that I have way too many 301’s and I need to fix or will be consequences :O

It’s to late to go backwards because I have hundreds of pages indexed and don’t want to fall of the face of the planet.

So how can I use mod_rewrite to report a 200 instead of a 301 ?

Does anyone know the exact code to insert into the htaccess file?

Regards,

Ken Roberts
      • 54 Posts
      Ken,

A 301 is the correct way for google to identify a moved page. Providing the content of the pages is the same and you’ve only changed the location the 301 command will work ok.
      The only errors google will give you are 404’s not 301’s (I presume you’re talking anout webmaster tools). If, however, you have incoming links to the original pages (from other sites) you will need to get these pointed to the new pages (ideally but not essential) but in the meantime G will ’pass the love’ via the 301 and will correct the serps over time.

Let me know if I’ve missed the point or if you need clarification.

S