We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hello Community...

I am in the very beginning stages of a social/community site. It is primarily centred around personal networking for a targeted demographic, through member profiles, blogs and forums, but I am also adding a ’business profile’ option to enable members with small-medium sized businesses to ’sell their wares’ (relevant to the community of course).

Where it gets interesting (to me, anyway) is this:

The web-store needs to manage both the general site subscriptions/products/services, and also provide ’mini-stores’ for each business, in such a way that they’re all seamlessly integrated and look to the user like a single shopping cart - with a minor exception...

On the business profiles I would like the owners to be able to feature all or some of their products with an ’add to cart’ for each item, and ’go to checkout’ option as well (like an ’away from home’ store) - presumably this part’s easily fixed (?). Each business profile needs the capability to upload ’X’ amount of products to its own “mini-store” as part of the larger web-store, determine where/when to show them, (i.e. general web-store entry + optional business profile feature), and be able to edit as needed for both. So far so good...

For anyone purchasing, I want to keep it simple as possible. When browsing a business profile it is, of course, helpful to be able to add a product to the cart immediately (or simply bookmark/wishlist it), as well as have the pay now/later option. When using the web-store, the interface must be clean and with uniform appearance for the buyer (surprise, surprise!!). I know people get confused by too many different things - I need it to appear *KISS* easy!! laugh

Finally, for payment, I would prefer each business to receive their money and invoices etc. straight away through their account, rather than re-route them myself, but have a specific percentage of the sale end up in the site owner’s coffers (that’s me!). wink It’s this back-end part that has me most confused, solutions-wise: Whether a business profile can be set to allow this, or whether a seperate ’back-end’ login will be needed...

(Note to self: must play around with MODx more before asking such long-winded questions.... undecided)

I hope I made sense there... My main question in this post is not so much HOW to make this happen, but whether the FoxyCart + MODx integration could smoothly cover my bases? (Or maybe my ass - lol) tongue OR - whether there are other options that would make a better, or equally perfect/imperfect fit? It’s rather like buying jeans.... so many options, most needing a bit of coaxing to fit right! Sometimes you really do find the dream though... kiss

Very happy to further explain anything that’s not clear... huh cool

* Please note: I am not an extremely technical person (yet!), having performed more in the creative (music/arts) fields rolleyes, but I am able and willing to understand relatively complex answers when given with some clear (read: Plain English! grin) instructions. However, I don’t expect to be spoon-fed. I’ll do my best to figure out whatever is thrown my way. Thanks! .......(Learning as I go.)

Oh, and – if there already something created or talked about that actually answers my question/s, a redirection is most welcome. I DO NOT wish to take up people’s precious time with needless repetition. Thanks for bearing with me.

Ciao,

Monica

• 361 Posts
      Quote from: Sweet at Dec 16, 2007, 11:47 PM

The web-store needs to manage both the general site subscriptions/products/services, and also provide ’mini-stores’ for each business, in such a way that they’re all seamlessly integrated and look to the user like a single shopping cart - with a minor exception...
      FoxyCart can handle your subscriptions and other ecommerce, and can make things look as seamless as you need, so you’re good so far.

On the business profiles I would like the owners to be able to feature all or some of their products with an ’add to cart’ for each item, and ’go to checkout’ option as well (like an ’away from home’ store) - presumably this part’s easily fixed (?).
      As usual with MODx, there are quite a few ways to accomplish this.

Finally, for payment, I would prefer each business to receive their money and invoices etc. straight away through their account, rather than re-route them myself, but have a specific percentage of the sale end up in the site owner’s coffers (that’s me!). wink It’s this back-end part that has me most confused, solutions-wise: Whether a business profile can be set to allow this, or whether a seperate ’back-end’ login will be needed...
      This piece is a little problematic. You want payment to go straight to the seller and not to you, but you want to take a piece. You’d either need to take it yourself, then cut your users their share, or send it straight to your users and bill them for your share at the end of the month (or something like that).

I’m not aware of any method that’d allow you to split a single transaction between two separate merchant accounts, other than having each user set up a merchant account under a reseller account of yours that you set your own fees on top of whatever processing fees are associated with the account to begin with.

I think it might make the most sense to use the FoxyCart XML to organize your users’ sales per user, then bill for your fee every month. Some gateways allow you to upload batches of transactions, which would definitely be worth looking into. This method would also probably save you some money on per transaction fees that would otherwise eat away at your profit if you charge your customers per transaction.

I hope I made sense there... My main question in this post is not so much HOW to make this happen, but whether the FoxyCart + MODx integration could smoothly cover my bases?
      Scotty’s TreasureChest might be worth looking at, though you’ve mentioned subscriptions and a customized checkout, which TC doesn’t handle (at this point, at least).
        Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
      • One the payment end, you’d best be served by handling that via a payment processor that supports split accounts. I think that http://bluefin.com/ is one of them.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 1 Posts
          Many thank to you both - I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will check out the bluefin option.

I have looked at TreasureChest, and while I really love the overall product, I am not sure it would fully meet my needs ( at least in its present incarnation laugh).

I’m not aware of any method that’d allow you to split a single transaction between two separate merchant accounts, other than having each user set up a merchant account under a reseller account of yours that you set your own fees on top of whatever processing fees are associated with the account to begin with.

I think it might make the most sense to use the FoxyCart XML to organize your users’ sales per user, then bill for your fee every month. Some gateways allow you to upload batches of transactions, which would definitely be worth looking into. This method would also probably save you some money on per transaction fees that would otherwise eat away at your profit if you charge your customers per transaction.

Thanks - I will look into this. I know it will get sorted out in the end - it’s just deciding the combination of software and pathways to make it happen. Of course, with MODx, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of options to choose from... wink

BTW: I’ll report back when I have a solution, for the benefit of other users.

Ciao!!
            • 1 Posts
            Ahh - Bluefin looks great. Started checking it out in more depth.

You learn something new everyday. grin