We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    hi i’ve used modx to build a site but can’t use friendly urls as i don’t have apache. so does this mean my site and all it’s contents will not be google friendly... i would like search criteria, from any search (not just google) to pop out the right pages with my content etc and pick up on changes etc, will it be ok?
      • 1 Posts
      hello anyone?
        • 1 Posts
        ah i actually do have apache when i asked my host. but the friendly urls don’t seem to work, what do i need to do?
        • Have you renamed the ht.access file to .htaccess in the root of your install and in the manager directory?

What do you mean by "any search (not just google) to pop out the right pages..."?
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1 Posts
            yeah renamed the access files and now all working great. i just wondered if all searches will now bed in better and find results from pages within my site?
            • Friendly URLs doesn’t affect searches if Google (and others) aren’t crawling your site. Further, if you have bad aliases that aren’t really relevant to your page, they might in fact hurt your search indexing. SEO isn’t rocket science or a black art, but it is time consuming, needs to be attacked with some knowledge of how search engines look at page content, and requires proper strategy and good writing skills.

There’s thousands of resources scattered about the net on optimizing pages for Search, and some of them are great and some terrible. Here’s a recent one that I found interesting: http://chiefmarketer.com/seo_dead_11132007/index.html
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • The unequivocal answer is no. Google makes no distinction between ?id=n vs. foo.html but they are easier to read for humans.

The issues arise when using raw URLs can be problematic if there are more than three query variables on top of the id--this would likely only happen if you are using GETs for searches or some such and links to them. You should look at the articles at
                HighRankings.com

Cheers,

Jay
                  Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                • smashingred is right. The URLs don’t affect Google indexing. However a question: given identical pages with identical inbound links, and one has a relevant "human readable friendly URL", which one would appear first in the search listing? I would submit the one with the FURL would.