We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,213 Posts
    Hello,

I’ve been thinking for sometime to start coding a Google Analytics module.. I did some quick snippets to BBClone some time ago (floating around the forums somewhere), but after running it on my sever for a while, I was very unpleased with some of it’s bugs (server environment related). I’ve heard good things about Google Analytics and was thinking of doing some kind of a module to it for two reasons.. 1. visitor stats are nice, 2. having to log into google analytics to view the stats sucks.

I’ve been waiting to see if there will be official Google Analytics API, but it’s not looking very promising.. Quite weird though as they have API’s available for basically every other service, but not this.. Well.. all is not lost, there is unofficial api’s around.

I quickly went through a few of those and this looks good: TanTan’s Google Analytics and Feedburner Reports plugin for WordPress. So what do you think about porting that to MODx? Good idea/bad idea, why? Do you have other suggestions for some unofficial API? EDIT: Anything else to say? smiley

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
    • I’d love see it as a module indeed. smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 3,975 Posts
        Looks pretty cool! smiley ...

My positive vote! wink
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
          • 4,213 Posts
          So.... opinions on converting TanTan’s wp-plugin? I haven’t looked at the code yet much, but I hope that I could do dummy implementation of the wp functions that the plugin uses and with that, minimize the need of rewriting the code to ease updating it in future.. it seems that the plugin is quite well supported by the author. The module would be GPL.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 898 Posts
            This sounds really cool to me. And you’ve done a helluva job on MaxiGallery.
              Chuck the Trukk
              ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
              - - - - - - - -
              What are TV's? Here's some info below.
              http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
              http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
              • 898 Posts
              If you are getting paid to make things easy for your customer, these small little things (like logging in at different sites) does make a big deal.
                Chuck the Trukk
                ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
                - - - - - - - -
                What are TV's? Here's some info below.
                http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
                http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
                • 129 Posts
                I think it sounds great but there are probably more pressing features that I would rather see first. Seems to me there are several areas MODx has difficulty or is limited. Adding a Google analytics module won’t really give us anything we don’t have (unless you have something up your sleeve), it will just make it more convenient. That said, if you want to make it, I would use it for sure.
                  "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."
                  -- Sydney Harris
                  • 4,213 Posts
                  First, I don’t get paid for this. Second, I do what I like to have my self and if you want to use it, fine with me.

I just asked opinions about what unofficial API you would suggest to use and if it’s a good idea to port that WP one or built from scratch with something else. I don’t really care what other features you’d like to see. tongue

Unless you buy me a PS3 for doing it. wink