We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 20 Posts
    While trying to install I am given these 3 option fields

Database host:

Database login name:

Database password:

I enter the IP as well as my login & pw for my database but I keep getting "Connection to host: failed!"

Any ideas as to why this is happening?
      • 24,544 Posts
      You need to name the DB *name* also. I think the missing field is a bug in the version you have.

Editing manager/includes/config.inc.php and entering the correct DB name should solve it -- or you could download a newer version.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 20 Posts
        I downloaded the latest version and there wasn’t a DB "name " field available and my
        Editing manager/includes/config.inc.php is actually a "config.inc.php.blank" There just a "config.inc.php" file.

Is there another version that I should download or is there a bug fix for this?
        Or, should I try it in another browser?
          • 24,544 Posts
          Quote from: nycpicasso at Sep 02, 2009, 10:41 PM

I downloaded the latest version and there wasn’t a DB "name " field available and my
          Editing manager/includes/config.inc.php is actually a "config.inc.php.blank" There just a "config.inc.php" file.

Is there another version that I should download or is there a bug fix for this?
          Or, should I try it in another browser?

You can load config.inc.php.blank into a text editor, enter the correct info, and use "Save As" config.inc.php -- then install.

I’m not sure about your other questions. I’m sure someone will chime it who knows the answers.
            My MODX Extras
            • 20 Posts
            Thanks for the help Bob but I don’t know how to write php code so I wouldn’t know what to write in the new config.inc.php file to make it work properly. I’m a newbie to this cms stuff and this one seemed to be the easiest for me to try out before I use it for my clients. I have tried drupal and joomla and there was too much of a learning curve when it comes to trying to convert an existing site to their cms.
              • 20 Posts
              The information you enter here is generally your login information for your server. The wording on this is off, it should not ask for
              Database host:

Database login name:

Database password:

it should read

host ip:

login name for host:

password for host:

Thanks for the help anyway Bob.
                • 1,390 Posts
                Glad you got it solved.

In my experience though, Database host, Database login name, etc are more common than host IP, login name for host, etc. It just depends on how your web host has set it up. But hey, you are up and running and that’s the most important thing!

cheers/k
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Quote from: nycpicasso at Sep 03, 2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the help Bob but I don’t know how to write php code so I wouldn’t know what to write in the new config.inc.php file to make it work properly. I’m a newbie to this cms stuff and this one seemed to be the easiest for me to try out before I use it for my clients. I have tried drupal and joomla and there was too much of a learning curve when it comes to trying to convert an existing site to their cms.

My mistake. I didn’t realize config.inc.php.blank was really blank. I was thinking it was a generic version of config.inc.php that you could edit to include your information.

Sorry I steered you down the wrong path. embarrassed
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 20 Posts
                    I appreciate the help anyway Bob.

Thanks
                      • 3 Posts
                      Quote from: nycpicasso at Sep 02, 2009, 09:08 PM
                      The information you enter here is generally your login information for your server. The wording on this is off, it should not ask for
                      Database host:

Database login name:

Database password:

it should read

host ip:

login name for host:

password for host:

Thanks for the help anyway Bob.

Thank's Man,

I got the same problem. After I entered host login name not database login name it solved this problem