We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 78 Posts
    Hi
    Just recently finished my first site with modx. When doing the site i didn’t take use friendly urls and now thats its done and looking nice i am a bit scared of screwing it up but i really want to convert it to use friendly urls. Can someone give me some quick step by step newbie advice on what needs to be done.. Cheers
    • 1) Make 100% certain your Apache server supports mod_rewrite.
      2) Rename the ht.access file in the site root and in the manger folder to .htaccess.
      3) In the manager, go to Tools > Configuration > Friendly URLs tab.
      4) Turn it on, and set any options you’d like.

That’s it! laugh
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 78 Posts
        cheers for the reply rthrash. will see if that works.. any easy way i can make certain my Apache server supports mod_rewrite. not really sure about this. i am on dreamhost.
        • Dreamhost does. You’re fine there. smiley
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 78 Posts
            cheers rthrash.
              • 78 Posts
              I don’t have a ht.access file in my root. Can i get one from somewhere? i have one in my manager folder and when i change this to .htaccess. it just disappears. Is this normal?
              • Your FTP client is likely set up to hide "hidden" files, which are files that begin with a dot. Local installs could be doing the same thing.
                  • 3,975 Posts
                  Right click in the folder area (in ftp program)

find and click "Filter"

put "-a" in "server side filtering (be sure to tick the checkbox if there is any to enable server side filtering).

Hit OK.

Now you will see .htaccess files in your folder view.

Hope this helps.

regards.
                    Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                    • 78 Posts
                    Cheers i can see them now.
                      • 78 Posts
                      I have done each of the steps that you said previously. Renamed the ht.access file in the site root and in the manger folder to .htaccess Then went to tools, configuration and turned on friendly urls. I haven’t set the prefix for friendly faces to test, suffix to .html, use friendly aliases to yes, use friendly alias path to yes, allow duplicate alias to yes, Automatically generate alias to yes. i save that and go back to my site. I’m using the wayfinder menu. get this error after clicking each button.

Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.