We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 11 Posts
    Hi,

I am new to CMS systems so I hope this isnt a stupid question.

I am developing a web site for a photographer but they want a pictures page (3 or more actally) that they can have thumbnails that open java windows that display pictures they have uploaded. They want a CMS system so that they can add or replace images as they wish without any special software or html knowledge.

I was wondering if Modx would be a good system to do so. And if yes, what would I need or how would I go about setting this up?

I have Modx already set up and running on my server for practice, I just have no idea where to go from here, any help would be great, even just to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

-- Nate
      • 150 Posts
      I believe you can find what you’re after with MaxiGallery: http://modxcms.com/MaxiGallery-532.html

There’s also some useful demos further down the page. I especially like the Lightbox demo, though I’ve been following Lightbox for quite some time.
        Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
        • 11 Posts
        I have added "maxigallery" but am having trouble getting it installed.

I am new to Modx so I am not sure how to get the thing in. I have uploaded to all the correct directories but step 7.

7. Call the snippet on some document, check the available parameters at the start of the snippet
        There are some example snippet calls at the demo site
        You have to call the snippet on an uncached page using "cached" snippet call i.e
        [[MaxiGallery]]
        , because the automated javascript/css registration in MODx requires this for now. If you don’t call it this way, sometimes when you view the lightbox enabled galleries, the images may just open in a new window instead of the lightbox.

Makes no sense to me.
          • 1,611 Posts
          Take a look at this link from the main MODx documentation: http://modxcms.com/adding-snippets.html
            "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
            • 11 Posts
            Thank you, Pete and Zap,

Your information has been great and helped me out quite a bit,

I have another question though to anyone out there.

I find I cannot access the picture manager unless I am logged into my modx account, even though they are being opened on seperate windows.

Also for the pictures, how can I customize things? I want the pics page to have the same branding as the site i am working on and blend into the site seamlessly, also I want the pictures to open through java windows with no buttons or links to make it look more professional instead of looking like a photo album or blog.

Anyone have any ideas?
              • 1,611 Posts
              There is a whole forum dedicated to MaxiGallery, where you’ll find most of your questions already answered and lots of people willing to help out: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/board,181.0.html
                "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options