We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 65 Posts
    Is it possible to create manager user like author which can access to edit certain directory in manager tree only?

I’ve managed to create a manager with limited permission via manager users + assigning a role but is it possible to modify further to reach point where this new role have access to edit like some section and not all documents in the tree?

thanks, in advance.
    • Create different document groups and link the roles and users and documents together.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 6 Posts
        Quote from: pr0ph3t at Jan 22, 2007, 10:48 AM

Is it possible to create manager user like author which can access to edit certain directory in manager tree only?

I’ve managed to create a manager with limited permission via manager users + assigning a role but is it possible to modify further to reach point where this new role have access to edit like some section and not all documents in the tree?

I found this document: http://modxcms.com/manager-roles-groups.html
        to be very useful in understanding users, roles, and document groups.
          • 65 Posts
          thanks this is what i was looking for
            • 576 Posts
            Somthing that should be added, you can add document groups and user groups to any document and/or folder, HOWEVER, if you want the documents to show up in the tree on the left side of the manager, the user MUST have access to the toplevel document, look at the following document tree... ("+" means folder, "-" means document).
            ROOT
            + Blogs
            | + Categories
            | | - MODx related
            | | - Random
            | - Tags

If you give a user access to the "Categories" folder, but NOT to the "Blogs" folder, the user will not see any of these documents in the tree (as of version 0.9.5 at least). So the folder access must travel up to the top (root) of the tree. It is possible though to give users access to the "Blogs" and "Tags" but no access to "Categories".

It’s a little confusing since this behavior was not what I expected.
              • 129 Posts
              Just stumbled upon this and find it strange to set up permissions like this. Is this issue fixed with 0.9.6 or is there a way to unlock a file inside a restricted folder? On my site I often have Ditto calls or such in the main folder (which I don’t want people to be able to mess with). I only want them to have access to the files inside the folder. Any ideas?
                [center]-- smiley --[/center]
                [center]New View Media - Custom Website Design[/center]
                [center]Custom Website Design & Marketing = Strategic Business![/center]
              • There is a fix for this in progress for 096. RC2 contains a hidden preference to enable seeing docs inside locked containers now.
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 1,611 Posts
                  Quote from: dhilden at Apr 18, 2007, 03:21 PM

Just stumbled upon this and find it strange to set up permissions like this. Is this issue fixed with 0.9.6 or is there a way to unlock a file inside a restricted folder? On my site I often have Ditto calls or such in the main folder (which I don’t want people to be able to mess with). I only want them to have access to the files inside the folder. Any ideas?

There is of course a way to work around this in the current version. Just put your Ditto call on a different document from the folder containing the individual items. The old school way of setting this sort of thing up was to have an unpublished "Repository" folder that you stored the items in, and then all of the the public documents were outside of that.
                    "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
                    • 576 Posts
                    Quote from: ZAP at Apr 18, 2007, 05:09 PM

The old school way of setting this sort of thing up was to have an unpublished "Repository" folder that you stored the items in, and then all of the the public documents were outside of that.
                    That’s how I’ve done it for now! Instead of using an unpublished document though I used a web link that links back to the real page with the ditto call.
                      • 1,611 Posts
                      Quote from: sirlancelot at Apr 18, 2007, 07:24 PM

That’s how I’ve done it for now! Instead of using an unpublished document though I used a web link that links back to the real page with the ditto call.
                      That’s a nice new twist on an old school theme...
                        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options