We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,010 Posts
    Just for the record. smiley

On a windows box using php to send email messages can be a real challenge. To test my snippets and the like locally I’ve installed MailEnable. This is a full blown mail server for Windows and the standard edition is free. (You can get it from http://www.mailenable.com/)

It’s been a while since I’ve set this up and I can’t remember much detail, but if I recall correctly it didn’t take me all that long (and I’m not an expert in mail servers by any means). There’s enough info in the mailEnable help file. I used a dnsalias.net free domain for the mail domain. Once the mail server was operating I just had to change the following settings in php.ini

; For Win32 only.
    SMTP = localhost
    smtp_port = 25
    ; For Win32 only.
    sendmail_from = [email protected]

Although I had to create a pop3 postoffice and mail account I’m personally only using the SMTP server part of mailEnable and only start the services when I need to.
      • 150 Posts
      Just to add my experiences to the topic in hand - I recently bought a 4GB USB key (though this could easily be achieved on a 256MB key or even a 128MB key if using the Lite version) and installed the full XAMPP package from the windows .msi installer.

All you have to do is say no to installing the services, and that’s it!

I’ve got XAMPP and all my sites on it to the tune of 1GB (including a lot of Photoshop files) with several MODx installations running just fine.

The only thing I would say is that when attempting this with XAMPP, remember to edit the Apache config file to turn mod_rewrite on so that you can run test sites with friendly URL’s.

Works like a dream, masses of space to grow into and the easiest way to develop sites on any PC you happen to be near smiley
        Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
        • 21 Posts
        Never could figure why uniform server [PC] didn’t get the number ONE spot as a local host test server. it’s SO great... and tiny and always works for me [rconsider using 3.2a and not 3.3 then do the downgrade to php4] .... all very well documented at the site.
          • 1 Posts
          Hello all I’m 100%% new to MODx. I downloaded the latest stable version, followed the instructions, but it seems that I’, doing something wrong and/or missing software/hardware requirements. When I tried running the install.php file on my browser I got the following... Can anyone assist in advising what am I missing????

"; exit; } $moduleName = "MODx"; $moduleVersion = "0.9.6"; $moduleSQLBaseFile = "setup.sql"; $moduleSQLDataFile = "setup.data.sql"; $moduleSQLUpdateFile = "setup.updates.sql"; $moduleChunks = array (); // chunks - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content $moduleTemplates = array (); // templates - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content $moduleSnippets = array (); // snippets - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties $modulePlugins = array (); // plugins - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties, events,guid $moduleModules = array (); // modules - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties, guid $moduleTemplates = array (); // templates - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties $moduleTVs = array (); // template variables - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties $errors= 0; // get post back status $isPostBack = (count($_POST)); $action= isset ($_GET[’action’]) ? trim(strip_tags($_GET[’action’])) : ’language’; // make sure they agree to the license if (!in_array($action, array (’language’, ’welcome’, ’license’))) { if (!isset ($_POST[’chkagree’])) $action= ’license’; } include (’header.php’); if (!@include (’action.’ . $action . ’.php’)) { die (’Invalid install action attempted. [action=’ . $action . ’]’); } include (’footer.php’); ?>
          • Are you sure that PHP is installed and running on your machine?

Another possibility is that the files were somehow corrupted during unzipping.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • Have you modified any files since uploading, ive seen this error before because at the start of index.php <?php was missing.

Quote from: RGarcia at Oct 01, 2007, 03:58 AM

Hello all I’m 100%% new to MODx. I downloaded the latest stable version, followed the instructions, but it seems that I’, doing something wrong and/or missing software/hardware requirements. When I tried running the install.php file on my browser I got the following... Can anyone assist in advising what am I missing????

"; exit; } $moduleName = "MODx"; $moduleVersion = "0.9.6"; $moduleSQLBaseFile = "setup.sql"; $moduleSQLDataFile = "setup.data.sql"; $moduleSQLUpdateFile = "setup.updates.sql"; $moduleChunks = array (); // chunks - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content $moduleTemplates = array (); // templates - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content $moduleSnippets = array (); // snippets - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties $modulePlugins = array (); // plugins - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties, events,guid $moduleModules = array (); // modules - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties, guid $moduleTemplates = array (); // templates - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties $moduleTVs = array (); // template variables - array : name, description, type - 0:file or 1:content, file or content,properties $errors= 0; // get post back status $isPostBack = (count($_POST)); $action= isset ($_GET[’action’]) ? trim(strip_tags($_GET[’action’])) : ’language’; // make sure they agree to the license if (!in_array($action, array (’language’, ’welcome’, ’license’))) { if (!isset ($_POST[’chkagree’])) $action= ’license’; } include (’header.php’); if (!@include (’action.’ . $action . ’.php’)) { die (’Invalid install action attempted. [action=’ . $action . ’]’); } include (’footer.php’); ?>
                http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
                UK MODX Hosting with love.
                • 834 Posts
                Going slightly off topic here, Ryan you said
                For local testing/development, it’s tough to beat XAMPP on Windows.

I was just wondering what the differences are between the various packages.

I installed WAMP quite a while ago and it took some doing to get it all working together. (It is now and works perfectly so I’m loathe to try anything else: "If it ain’t broke don’t touch it.")

However, I am incurably curious about alternative solutions.

Any thoughts?
                  Content Creator and Copywriter
                • I use a Mac so I won’t be much assistance on the advice on Windows front. XAMPP does tend to just flat work, MySQL 5.0.51x notwithstanding.
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Quote from: TobyL at Jan 16, 2007, 05:48 PM

Just for the record. smiley

On a windows box using php to send email messages can be a real challenge.

I’ve used MODx’s phpmailer class with no trouble by just setting it to use an SMTP mail account I have on a remote server:

require_once $modx->config['base_path']."manager/includes/class.phpmailer.php"; 

$mail = new PHPMailer();

$useSMTP =true;  // set to false after moving site to remote server with mail() enabled.

if ($useSMTP) {
                            $mail->IsSMTP();
                            $mail->SMTPAuth = true; //Turn on SMTP authentication
                            $mail->Host = $spfSMTP_Host;
                            $mail->Port = $spfSMTP_Port;
                            $mail->Username = $spfSMTP_UserName; //SMTP username
                            $mail->Password = $spfSMTP_Password; //SMTP password
                        } else { // not using SMTP - use mail()
                            $mail->IsMail();
                        }
                        $mail->CharSet = $modx->config['modx_charset'];
                        $mail->AddAddress($recipient);

$mail->From = $_POST['email'];

$mail->FromName    = $site_name;
                        $mail->Subject    = $finalSubject;
                        $mail->Body        = $content;
                        $mail->AddCustomHeader($addlHeaders);

if(!$mail->send()) {   // send it
                                webAlert($spf_lang['mail-failure'] . $mail->ErrorInfo);
                                exit;
                        }

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 388 Posts

I’m looking for strategies/approaches for maintaining local copies of several sites I’ve developed. These sites are on different host/servers for different clients and are completely unrelated.

I’d like to be able to maintain and update each one of them locally as independent sites on a single machine. I have at least one client that is not too tech savvy and recently deleted some pages & content from his site without realizing what he was doing. He needed to just restore the content on a page or two, not the entire site. Additionally, as he requests changes to the design, I want to develop them locally, then upload to the server.

Since I have several sites with this situation, I’m trying determine the best approach. I understand MODx doesn’t support multiple sites from a single core, but is there another way to do this?

Any ideas would be helpful.
                        www.terrybarthdesign.com