We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3,250 Posts
    MARKSVIRTUALDESK Reply #1, 18 years ago
    Announcing Ditto: the nimbler, faster, better-named and even more flexible offspring of NewsListing.

The fact is, Newslisting is useful for much more than summarizing and building archives of news articles. Coupled with the fact that a cornerstone MODx philosophy focuses on flexibility, and "News" seemed to syntactically restrictive. And boring.

Blogs... PodCasts... Press Release archives... File Download repositories... FAQs... Executive Bio listings...

Ditto now takes advantage of an external class, language files to work with multi-language installs, and uses templates extensively for the ultimate in output formatting flexibility and control. And while it has more than 40 configurable parameters in it’s current implementation, you only need [[Ditto]] for great results (although telling it explicitly where to start probably wouldn’t hurt wink ).

Amongst the many cool things under Ditto’s able and refined domain:

• &mode parameter can disable sanity checks on variables and increase speed for production sites.
    • JSON format for AJAX applications
    • Access individual posts in templates via [+item[ # ]+] placeholders (replacing ’ # ’ with actual integers).
    • Stop guessing with non-abbreviated parameter names in CamelCase convention.
    • Updated documentation and full parameter and placeholder lists.
    • xHTML Strict month-based archive output which uses templates for formatting.
    • Extensive sorting and filtering based on TVs
    • And the obligatory, "much, much more..."

Feedback, problems and praise: Learn about known Issues and resolutions as they surface.
      • 7,075 Posts
      Kudos to Mark for this great great snippet which now also has a great name grin And so many different uses (as I said earlier, did a company directory with it !). The question is : when will Ditto make coffee tongue ?

About the changelog : I didn’t quite understand JSON from their website (kinda hard to grasp !) but I’ll discover what it means for Ditto on the fly... Let’s do some testin’ !!!
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 141 Posts
        Thank you very much Mark, it looks awesome.

I shall give it a workout tomorrow.

Now you’ll need to change your sig!
        • Garry Nutting Reply #4, 18 years ago
          Quote from: davidm at May 12, 2006, 08:20 PM

Kudos to Mark for this great great snippet which now also has a great name grin
          Ditto! grin

And a mighty fine logo to boot as well, fantastic work! smiley
            Garry Nutting
            Senior Developer
            MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
            Twitter: @garryn
            Web: modx.com
            • 3,250 Posts
            MARKSVIRTUALDESK Reply #5, 18 years ago
            Mad props go to Zi for the logo and Ryan for most of the release message.
              • 3,975 Posts
              Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #6, 18 years ago
              Congratz to all members espacially to Mark for writing such a nice and flexible piece of code!

Enjoy the new Ditto! laugh

Best wishes and regards,

zi
                Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                • 711 Posts
                Thanks for Ditto !!
                I will try it as soon as possible smiley
                  Sorry for my english. I'm french... My dictionary is near me, but it's only a dictionary !
                  • 283 Posts
                  Thanks Mark,

I replace my NewsListing and it works great grin
                    • 361 Posts
                    The Man Can! Reply #9, 18 years ago
                    Awesome! Just when I think that it couldn’t get any better!
                    Quick question though: Is dateFormat supposed to be dateFormatformat?
                      Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
                      • 54 Posts
                      @The Man Can!

No, it isn’t. See Mark’s post here: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,4539.msg33032.html#msg33032