We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • With our latest release, we’re really ready to start focusing on making MODx a first-class multi-language solution. That includes on the support forums too. As such, we’ve added the SMF 1.1RC2 native language packs that are publicly available from http://simplemachines.org. I’d like to add more too, so any investigative help in the non-english forums there will be greatly appreciated. You can now see these forums in your native language (hopefully) by going to Profile and then selecting your language preference. You may also need to switch to the SMF default forum layout for the best results.

In the near future, we’ll be announcing our program for helping to market MODx around the globe... and we look forward to making MODx the premiere open source CMF around the globe. This will mean translation projects for all the documentation and support site content as well as localized sites that cater 100% to regional design and content preferences.

In the interim, we’ve added Dutch, Finnish, French, Italian, Japanese and Spanish native language sub-forums. Russian and German are on deck for the next additions. Please let us know which other languages you’d like to see. Thanks so much for your patience while we work the details out, and for your ongoing participation with the MODx project. smiley

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
    • Can Japanese language be added to the Preferred Language setting of SMF?

http://f3.aaa.livedoor.jp/~logue/?SMF
      A Japanese language file is here, "SMF11JRC2_utf8_060124.zip".

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=29995.15
      related info

Thank you.
        • 577 Posts
        hehe, that was what I was thinking the other day wink

Oh well, at least Yama can by to repeat that grin

@ Yama
        いただきます!
          Tangent-Warrior smiley
          • 138 Posts
          Ryan don’t you think that I’d be better to use local names in each language subforum?

"Spanish Community" should be "Comunidad en Español". Eventough this will break the forums’ name convention, it will help non-english user to be part of their communities without knowing English.

cheers
          eemi
            patagonia, argentina
            • 4,213 Posts
            Now that the forums have much non-english activity in too, I’d really like to see possible to ignore post on certains subforums, so my "Show unread posts since last visit" -list wouldn’t get cluddered with posts that I can’t understand.

This has been discussed here at the forums before (can’t remember in which thread) and I remember that there was such a module for SMF, but it had not been installed here, because it was not officially approved by SMF team yet (or something like that). I wonder what’s the state of this now?

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
              • 7,075 Posts
              Yeah ignore boards would be nice indeed, but the reason was not approval by SMF team : it was a conflict between SMF’s SEO’s mod and IgnoreBoards mod... until it’s resolved, IgnoreBoards won’t happen I am afraid...

@eemi : I agree with your suggestion smiley

Anyway, great news about the native language packs Ryan laugh

I made an announcement on the French boards (with a "how to") so that french users can make the change if they so wish.
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
              • The non-English language packs that aren’t hosted on the official SMF site may be a bit more tricky to deal with... this is compounded by the fact that I don’t speak a heck of a lot of Italian or Japanese, but I am working on it folks.
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 577 Posts
                  The forums have definitely been improved!

Now, I hate to through in more work but I just realized that the forums are now going to create an even greater need.

translations of the main core concpets of Modx.
                  Just to name one ::::: the big and nasty TVs !!!!!
                  lol, and bindings, and chunks, and snippets, and lo and behold widgets.

Hell, I myself reading about them in my native tongue even get confused. Imagine if you were reading them in a second language that you can barely manage.

I’ve lived in 13 years in Japan and still cringe at the thought of having to use a Japanese OS, especially an OS that is different from the one that I use everyday.

I suggest that we start a translation team chosen from the community members.
                  scenerios:
                  A truly bilingual person translating to target language with other native speakers checking the final draft.
                  Or
                  A team where an English native speaker with enough skill to translate a rough draft to the target language whereby then a native speaker could rewrite the draft into proper target language.

Tangent-Warrior smiley
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    Very good point Carsten, though it has little to do with the forums per say wink
                    (If the admins want to split this into a Documentation discussion...)

Being bilingual won’t be sufficient, that’s the trick with technical documentation, you also have got to master the concepts you’re translating : i.e if you’re translating the @binding doc, you better have a good grasp of it... while I can write pretty decent english, I am not at ease with @bindings so I couldn’t help much there ! Luckily, on the french side we have a core of users who have decent english skills and now their way around MODx. Still, translating the doc is a long process because more often than not the first draft are not satisfactory at all... User’s feedback is of the essence there, to clarify any dark spot...
                      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                      • 577 Posts
                      ugh, you’re right my post wasn’t directed to the forums directly.

However, the issue is going to come up fast now that we have made the improvements to the forums smiley

Head of the issue quick and fast and save lots of headaches later laugh
                        Tangent-Warrior smiley