We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 342 Posts
    Willi Waizenegger Reply #1, 5 years ago
    Hello. Just tried upgrading to MODx 2.7.1 from 2.7.0. Now I cannot save anything within any of the resources...not just within the editor (latest version of TinyMCE) but also after changing any settings. Endless saving loop. I can save VERY INTERMITTENTLY but rare.

I can save chunks, etc. okay.

- No settings changed from MODx 2.7.0, which had been working great.
    - core/cache cleared when upgraded. Cleared a second time while troubleshooting.
    - cache cleared from within control panel prior to logging out for upgrade.
    - Permissions flushed from within control panel prior to logging out for upgrade.
    - Browser cache cleared (multiple browsers) prior to upgrade and after upgrade.
    - Formit and ReCaptcha packages had been upgraded prior to upgraded...ONLY ONES system told me needed upgrading.
    - Upgrade performed manually.
    - Reinstalled all packages during troubleshooting.
    - Tried turning off the editor. Cannot save setting. Tried uninstalling TinyMCE but it breaks the site (I guess it has to do with the editor still being turned on, which I cannot turn off.
    - I see no permissions issues anywhere.

I get the following when I go to the error log ("username" substituted for actual name, of course):

[2019-03-07 13:13:30] (ERROR in modRestCurlClient::__construct @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/rest/modrestcurlclient.class.php : 26) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:15:02] (ERROR in xPDO::getService @ /home1/username/public_html/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php : 1234) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:15:02] (ERROR in modRestCurlClient::__construct @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/rest/modrestcurlclient.class.php : 26) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:15:26] (ERROR in xPDO::getService @ /home1/username/public_html/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php : 1234) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:15:26] (ERROR in modRestCurlClient::__construct @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/rest/modrestcurlclient.class.php : 26) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:15:44] (ERROR in xPDO::getService @ /home1/username/public_html/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php : 1234) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:15:44] (ERROR in modRestCurlClient::__construct @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/rest/modrestcurlclient.class.php : 26) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
    [2019-03-07 13:16:44] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace bigbrother to the routing based system.
    [2019-03-07 13:16:44] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace formsave to the routing based system.
    [2019-03-07 13:16:44] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace redirector to the routing based system.
    [2019-03-07 13:16:44] (ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /home1/username/public_html/core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace quickstartbuttons to the routing based system.

Using PHP 7.0

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

This question has been answered by waizen. See the first response.

[ed. note: waizen last edited this post 5 years ago.]
      • 342 Posts
      Willi Waizenegger Reply #2, 5 years ago
      BTW, although I'm doubting this has anything directly to do with my saving issue, I also see a lot of the following within the error log. Please note that I don't have Simple Search installed in my site. Also, note that I've cleared my core/cache a couple of times today, so this is recent:

[2019-03-07 13:29:04] (ERROR @ /home1/username/public_html/core/cache/includes/elements/modplugin/4.include.cache.php : 37) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/username/public_html/core/components/simplesearch/model/simplesearch/simplesearch.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
      [2019-03-07 13:29:54] (ERROR @ /home1/username/public_html/core/cache/includes/elements/modplugin/4.include.cache.php : 37) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/username/public_html/core/components/simplesearch/model/simplesearch/simplesearch.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
      [2019-03-07 13:30:09] (ERROR @ /home1/username/public_html/core/cache/includes/elements/modplugin/4.include.cache.php : 37) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/username/public_html/core/components/simplesearch/model/simplesearch/simplesearch.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
        • 15 Posts
        Hey Willi ..

Do the times in the log coincide with your save attempts?

I only ask as these [and similar] errors have been commonplace since 2.7.0 as far as I can tell - and I don't think they have been associated with an inability to save.

See this thread: https://forums.modx.com/thread/104677/error-message-after-upgrade-to-2-7-0

Have you ruled out mod_security issues? Use Chrome Developer Tools and watch the Network tab while you try to save.

Look out for 403 responses in there to your requests to save data.

Hope you find the root of the problem.
          • 342 Posts
          Willi Waizenegger Reply #4, 5 years ago
          Thanks for responding, dejaya. I saw that thread and considered bringing my issue up there but didn't want to end up hijacking that thread if my issue wasn't the same.

The error messages do coincide with my save issues. In fact, I purposely cleared the error logs just to make sure. Wouldn't have made much of a difference any way since I had cleared the core/cache multiple times any way.

While I haven't ruled out mod_security issues, I don't know why that wouldn't have made these problems show up when my site was 2.7.0. It was working perfectly at that point.

This is so frustrating. Not how I need to spend my time. Thanks for responding, though.
            • 24,544 Posts
            As dejaya suggested, watching the Network tab in Chrome Dev. Tools (Ctrl-shift-i) as you save could help. Clear the Dev. Tools log, and try to save the resource.

Look for requests to connectors/index.php or connector.php. If you click on the line you can see the request and response in the tabs above the grid. The action you most likely want will contain "resource" (e.g., "resource/save") The response will normally have a line of JSON beginning with {"Success": "True" ...

If something goes wrong, though, the Response will show some ugly HTML containing an error message.

FYI the error messages in your first post here are "normal" and not related to the issue. You can get rid most or all of them by turning off the log_deprecated System Setting.

Remember, too, that when saving a Resource, you're usually also saving some TVs. If a TV is empty and set to not allow blank entries, the Resource Save will fail and you may or may not get a message about the TV.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • discuss.answer
              • 342 Posts
              Willi Waizenegger Reply #6, 5 years ago
              Thank you for responding, Bob. So, here is where I'm at.

I re-ran the setup directory (yes, core/cache cleared again) with the same issues.

I did check the Chrome Dev Tools as you suggested and it showed only the same error that was in the control panel error log (after I turned off log_deprecated system setting as you suggested). That error message was:

[2019-03-09 10:27:37] (ERROR @ /home1/USERNAME/public_html/core/cache/includes/elements/modplugin/4.include.cache.php : 37) PHP warning: require_once(/home1/USERNAME/public_html/core/components/simplesearch/model/simplesearch/simplesearch.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

So, just for giggles, I installed (but not utilized) the Simple Search component, even though I wasn't using it on my site anywhere. Sure enough, the site is working fine now. Working quickly, as well.

Why that is, I have no idea. I don't remember using this component at any point in my site's life so I don't know why the system is trying to write to cache with mention of that component. It's my own personal portfolio site so I don't really mind that Simple Search is in there but I wonder if I'm going to see this issue again within clients' sites in the future as I upgrade them.

Anyway, I'm going to call this one fixed but under probation. Thank you for everyone's help. You all rock!
                • 24,544 Posts
                What plugin has the ID 4?
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 342 Posts
                  Willi Waizenegger Reply #8, 5 years ago
                  Quote from: BobRay at Mar 09, 2019, 06:46 PM
                  What plugin has the ID 4?

SimpleSearchIndexer

Did you just have an "aha" moment, Bob? I'm reaching here, but does that have something to do with the "4" within this part of the error message?:

4.include.cache.php : 37
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    It might.

I suspected that the plugin was related to SimpleSearch. Just disabling that plugin and manually clearing the cache files might have solved your problem -- or just removing the plugin and clearing the cache.

Another place to look would be the extension_packages System Setting if it contains anything related to SimpleSearch.

My guess is that you installed, then uninstalled SimpleSearch at some point and the uninstall was incomplete.

I would hesitate to mess with anything now that things are working unless you continue to get error messages.
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 342 Posts
                      Willi Waizenegger Reply #10, 5 years ago
                      Quote from: BobRay at Mar 10, 2019, 06:19 AM
                      It might.

I suspected that the plugin was related to SimpleSearch. Just disabling that plugin and manually clearing the cache files might have solved your problem -- or just removing the plugin and clearing the cache.

Another place to look would be the extension_packages System Setting if it contains anything related to SimpleSearch.

My guess is that you installed, then uninstalled SimpleSearch at some point and the uninstall was incomplete.

I would hesitate to mess with anything now that things are working unless you continue to get error messages.

Keep in mind that Simple Search was not installed on my site. I did look within the components directories to see if any previous packages existed and were just not activated but none existed. I then just installed it to see if it would clear my issue and it did. I don't remember ever using the plugin on this site before but, who knows. I've changed this site so often I may not be remembering this right.

Just for my own education, Bob, does the "4" in the cache error message refer to the ID of the plugin? If it does, that is a huge help in future troubleshooting. The one that partially refers as:

4.include.cache.php : 37