We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 33 Posts
    Good Morning all,

what is currently the best way to create a blog with MODx: Articles? Or getResources? What can you recommend?

Thank you and best regards,
    Michael
      • 18 Posts
      Quote from: mibolu at Jan 24, 2019, 07:54 AM
      Good Morning all,

what is currently the best way to create a blog with MODx: Articles? Or getResources? What can you recommend?

Thank you and best regards,
      Michael

Hi,

I recently use one extra pdoTools instead of getResources, Wayfinder and couple more extras. It`s almost the same, in some tests faster, and have some new options.
      Articles is good but if you have hundreds posts then modx tree is getting really big and load a bit slower. You can try Collections + Archives, any of breadcrumbs extra etc.

Anyway you will install most of extras included in Articles.

Last 2 options are Migx (CMP) and own solution based on own component. Pros is you have what you really want, cons - you need to write it yourself wink
        • 33 Posts
        Quote from: godzio at Jan 24, 2019, 09:27 AM
        I recently use one extra pdoTools instead of getResources, Wayfinder and couple more extras. It`s almost the same, in some tests faster, and have some new options.Articles is good but if you have hundreds posts then modx tree is getting really big and load a bit slower. You can try Collections + Archives, any of breadcrumbs extra etc.

I am a beginner with MODx. Well, I already worked a bit in MODx. Now I want a blog for my website. I would like to adapt it to my layout and now I think about what makes more sense or is easier: articles or collections.

Best regards,
        Michael
          • 24,544 Posts
          FWIW, Articles don't show in the Resource tree. I have hundreds of Articles blog posts at Bob's Guides and the tree performance hasn't changed.

I've only used Articles, so I can't speak to which is easier.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • I'd generally recommend Collections over Articles these days. More flexible. Other than that, it's fair game how you want to build it. pdoTools is a very useful suite of tools.

The BlogIt package (https://modx.com/extras/package/blogit) is useful as a starting point for newer users who want to see something in action.
              Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • 33 Posts
              Good Morning,

write this although in my other discussion "Best way to create a blog with MODx":

I didn't get collections or blogit under Revo 2.7.0 to work. I created pages in collections and blogit, but they wasn't displayed to me. In the settings of blogit I have specified the parent folder. Still not working. Maybe I did something wrong. Is there a good tutorial for collections? I didn't found anything.

Best regards,
              Michael
                • 7 Posts
                I have the same issue as you. Collections nor blogIt worked for me. Must be the new version of Revo.

Quote from: mibolu at Jan 28, 2019, 07:13 AM
                Good Morning,

write this although in my other discussion "Best way to create a blog with MODx":

I didn't get collections or blogit under Revo 2.7.0 to work. I created pages in collections and blogit, but they wasn't displayed to me. In the settings of blogit I have specified the parent folder. Still not working. Maybe I did something wrong. Is there a good tutorial for collections? I didn't found anything.

Best regards,
                Michael
                  • 33 Posts
                  Quote from: friendlyjoe at Feb 03, 2019, 03:37 AM
                  I have the same issue as you. Collections nor blogIt worked for me. Must be the new version of Revo.

Hi,

I delete collections and make a new installation. Now it worked.

Best regards,
                  Michael
                    • 7 Posts
                    I deleted Collections and reinstalled it several times. No luck. I even changed PHP to Version 7. For some reason it will not show the 'blog posts' in the Grid view. When I delete the container I see them in the delete view. Some setting is off. I am not having much luck. My collation is utf8.

Quote from: mibolu at Feb 03, 2019, 03:28 PM
                    Quote from: friendlyjoe at Feb 03, 2019, 03:37 AM

Hi,

I delete collections and make a new installation. Now it worked.

Best regards,
                    Michael
                      • 33 Posts
                      Quote from: friendlyjoe at Feb 03, 2019, 11:37 PM
                      I deleted Collections and reinstalled it several times. No luck. I even changed PHP to Version 7. For some reason it will not show the 'blog posts' in the Grid view. When I delete the container I see them in the delete view. Some setting is off. I am not having much luck. My collation is utf8.

Maybe it works on a complete new installation of modx???

Best regards,
                      Michael