We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    I am a Modx user. My site is hosted on Bluehost. My site was hacked so I backed things up and cleaned things out. I downloaded the new modx but it will not install. This issue extremely difficult to diagnose, and this is unfortunate.

I am stuck on the part where it says "Test database server connection and view collations". This fails. There are many many posts on this, none of them giving a solution.

My web browser seems to indicate an error interpreting one of the underlying .js files (attached).

< [ed. note: friendlyjoe last edited this post 5 years, 3 months ago.]
      • 7 Posts
      [SOLVED] - While the terminal PHP version was reporting the latest PHP, the configured PHP version on the cPanel was determining the actual configuration and was point to (**shock**) an older PHP version.

Fixing this and bumping up to PHP 5.6 fixed this.

<
        • 1,154 Posts
        Ah great you got it going. I saw your post last night but couldn't think of the reason why. Of course it was php, I should have thought of that
          • 7 Posts

Yes I did. I actually gave up and started to install WordPress. WordPress game me a screaming alert telling me that my PHP version was too old. And I was like "what ..." After talking to my ISP, they pointed me to control that sets the PHP version (6 standard versions and 3 betas of the the latest PHP I think). After fixing this, things worked.

If I could suggest things from this experience - I think ModX should have more error logging / feedback in the install. Also I think there is no real need to have minimized Javascript code in the install scripts, and more debug logging should be turned on - I think that is a good thing.

Quote from: nuan88 at Jan 05, 2019, 02:24 PM
          Ah great you got it going. I saw your post last night but couldn't think of the reason why. Of course it was php, I should have thought of that
            • 1,154 Posts
            good suggestions, the core system is improving all the time.