We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 36 Posts
    I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle and am looking for some advice!

I tried to upgrade from 2.5.8 to the latest version but ran into errors which I suspected to be PHP related. My current host wasn't able to provide a PHP version (5.3.1) which was new enough for ModX . I rolled back to the previous version but found that it was now glitchy. The main menu was showing "topnav and usernav" and I was unable to access the system settings.

I didn't worry about that too much, I thought I would instead create a version of the existing site on the new hosting service. I have done that installed the 2.5.8 version there but its still showing the same glitchiness.

I've done some of the suggestions in here such as, open in an incognito window. Ensure that compress_css and compress_js were set to 0 but it's still the same.

My end game scenario is that I want my site working on the newest version of modx on the new server but I'm just not sure of the best way forward. Would I be better trying to install the new version on top of this glitchy version?! I'm really just not sure of the pros and cons of any approach and would really appreciate some help before I get myself completely confused!!

FYI - Bobs Site check tool fails here:

Checking Encoding and Collation for all text columns
    Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch() on boolean in *****/core/components/sitecheck/model/sitecheck/pathcheck.class.php on line 360

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• 1,154 Posts
      Hmm I would say the best way forward would be to establish a new install and then import your site's database from a backup, do you have a backup from before you started to move it?

But you also have to be careful about collation, the language used by the database. If there is a mismatch you will run into trouble.

Please check the database of the site to see what collation it is, and make sure the new Modx you install uses the same collation.
        • 36 Posts
        Quote from: nuan88 at Dec 10, 2018, 03:18 PM
        Hmm I would say the best way forward would be to establish a new install and then import your site's database from a backup, do you have a backup from before you started to move it?

But you also have to be careful about collation, the language used by the database. If there is a mismatch you will run into trouble.

Please check the database of the site to see what collation it is, and make sure the new Modx you install uses the same collation.

Yes, this is what I've done. Used the backup from the old site on the new server I'm experiencing the same issues as I did when I restored the same backup to the old server.

How would I go about checking the collation?

• 36 Posts
          Quote from: nuan88 at Dec 10, 2018, 03:18 PM

Sorry I just reread this. When you say a new install do you also mean upgrading the modx version?
          • discuss.answer
            • 36 Posts
            OK, so I've followed the advice https://modx.com/blog/2015/09/21/migrating-your-modx-site/
            -Install MODX on the new server.
            -Copy all files over. Exclude the folders: connectors, manager, and core. Include subfolders core/components and core/packages. Exclude files: index.php and config.core.php.

And then I get to this instruction:

Export the full DB and inject into new install.

And I'm a little stuck on what to do. I have imported the database ok manually via phpmyadmin. I can visit the setup page ok but all options are disabled other than " New Installation". Going through part of that step does verify that the database is using the right collation, but if I get to the next step it tells me my database already has tables with the prefix modx_ - of course - because I already have the data in there. Doing this would overwrite my database of course!? So should I just update the config file etc manually?

• discuss.answer
              • 24,544 Posts
              Don't proceed with a new install. You are correct that it will wipe out your DB.

When MODX won't give you the option to upgrade, it usually means that it couldn't find the core/config/config.inc.php file or that the config.core.php file (which tells MODX where the config.inc.php file is located) in the setup/includes directory is incorrect.

Check the paths in the config.core.php files in the MODX root, connectors, manager, and setup/includes directories.

Setup will usually correct the paths and URLs in the core/config/config.inc.php file, but not always, so it's a good idea to check them (especially the connectors path) after running setup. If the two MODX installs are on the same server, check all those files carefully to make sure there are no references to the old site.

BTW, that error in SiteCheck likely means that this query failed for some reason:

$result = $dbh->query("SHOW TABLES FROM " . $dbase);

I don't know why that would happen unless the database is empty, but then the failure would come earlier. That error is occurring in the Character Set test, so skipping that might give you more information.

You might also try repairing all tables in the DB in PhpMyAdmin. [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 5 years, 4 months ago.]
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting