We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,118 Posts
    Just upgraded from 2.2.8 to 4.1.0 and got a message to state I needed to re-encrypt forms from their current encryption to a new encryption... I did this... and now... the form data is all corrupt! Any idea how I can retrieve this data from the database? Anyone know where in the MODx DB where the stored formit forms data is and how I can un-encrypt it once located in the DB???

What a pain!

Cheers,

dubbs.
      • 24,544 Posts
      Did you use the migration page in the Manager to do the new encryption?

Do you know the encryption key?

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,118 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Oct 31, 2018, 08:49 PM
        Did you use the migration page in the Manager to do the new encryption?

Do you know the encryption key?

I got an alert to do so, clicked the link and nothing happened....

Then when I viewed the form data - it said it was corrupt? [ed. note: dubbs last edited this post 5 years, 5 months ago.]
          • 24,544 Posts
          Is it possibly that you refreshed the page or navigated to another page while it was still working on the conversion? That would probably mean some of the data is encrypted with the new method and some with the old, which would make it appear corrupted.

Without the encryption key (which might be in a snippet property somewhere, or identifiable in the source code), there's nothing to try other then restoring from a backup.
            My MODX Extras
            • 1,118 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Nov 02, 2018, 04:50 AM
            Is it possibly that you refreshed the page or navigated to another page while it was still working on the conversion? That would probably mean some of the data is encrypted with the new method and some with the old, which would make it appear corrupted.

Without the encryption key (which might be in a snippet property somewhere, or identifiable in the source code), there's nothing to try other then restoring from a backup.

Thanks Bob - I left the tab alone for a while, it had no progress bar, or visual reference to show anything was happening... so its possible I culled it yes... I would suggest this is changed to show with some form of indicator what is going on. I have a backup of the DB before this happened yes - how would I go about extracting the info from the DB?
              • 24,544 Posts
              If you know which table is it, just export only that table in PhpMyAdmin from the backup, (or, if the backup is an .sql file you should be able to cut and paste the section for that table into another .sql file -- you may need the file header as well). Then in PhpMyAdmin, truncate the current table and import the backup .sql file for that table.
                My MODX Extras