We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 25 Posts
    Hi,

I'm using Notify to email updates to registered users. So far so good - it works well with one exception: it sends all the emails twice. 2 mails are better than none, but it's little annoying to the recipients.

Here some details about my environment and usage of Notify:

• MODX: 2.6.5-pl
    • PHP: 7.2.10
    • PHPMailer: 5.2.14
    • Notify: notify-1.4.2-pl

On the Snippet of Notify I've added custom properties to use a group for all recipients which works fine at all.
    modMailX is set as mailService.

The email is also sent twice if I choose a single email-address instead of the subscribers group on the Notify form.

Any ideas how to prevent this behavior?

Thanks!
    Mike

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

• 1,154 Posts
      could we see your snippet? did you strip it down to the very basics and test it?
        • 25 Posts
        Quote from: nuan88 at Oct 30, 2018, 12:37 PM
        could we see your snippet? did you strip it down to the very basics and test it?
        Not sure which Snippet you're talking about. It's the default Snippet which comes with Notify
          • 24,544 Posts
          First, try installing QuickEmail and testing to see if it also sends two emails.

Could we see your Notify snippet tag (on the Notify resource)?
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 1,154 Posts
            On the Snippet of Notify I've added custom properties to use a group for all recipients which works fine at all.

It seems you have edited the snippet? What is this group function?
              • 25 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Oct 30, 2018, 02:27 PM
              First, try installing QuickEmail and testing to see if it also sends two emails. Could we see your Notify snippet tag (on the Notify resource)?
              QuickEmail: I've checked QuickEmail with default properties and debug=1. Output seems to be OK and it sends a single email (not twice)
              Notify Snippet Tag: Sure, here's the tag I'm using: [[!Notify@NotifyProperties]]

Quote from: nuan88 at Oct 30, 2018, 02:51 PM
              It seems you have edited the snippet? What is this group function?
              No, I've not changed a single character in the snippet code. The group I'm talking about is a property of the snippet.
              To clarify I've attached the screenshot of the snippet properties.

Would be great if you guys have any ideas to solve this issue!

Greetings from Vienna! Mike
                • 24,544 Posts
                I don't see anything that would cause double emails. All my setups use Mailgun now, so I don't have any easy way to investigate the code.

Is it possible that users belong to more than one group that Notify is sending to? It's supposed to eliminate duplicates, but maybe that's not working.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 25 Posts
                  Hi BobRay,

yes they belong to two groups. But Notify is configured to use only one group. I've testet it with a new Testuser that belongs only to the group defined in Notify. The email is sent twice to that Testuser as well.
                  I see your point and as I wrote: Better two emails than none ;-) So don't mind. Maybe I'll find some time to go through the code and check it out.
                    • 1,154 Posts
                    Could it possibly be some system settings that are independently sending out the extra email?
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Another option is to use Mailgun. It's free for up to 10,000 emails per month. It's a little hassle to set up, but you only have to do it once and you'll get much better deliverability (way less chance of your emails ending up in the spam folder), and some excellent statistics on stuff like opens, views, clicks, and hard and soft bounces.
                        My MODX Extras