We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Hello together,

we provide our homepage via HostEurope WebHosting and use MODX as content management system. All is working fine so far!

But next week HostEurope is going to disable PHP 5.x and will only support PHP 7.x. When trying to switch the server's PHP version from 5.6 to 7.x, the part of our homepage which uses MODX can't be used any more (HostEurope error page). Everything else works fine.
    The MODX documentation says that PHP 5.3.3 and above is required (refer to https://docs.modx.com/revolution/2.x/getting-started/server-requirements).

Does this mean that PHP 5.x must be run on the server to use MODX? Do we have a chance to use MODX on HostEurope after PHP 5.x was turned off?

Thank you in advance!
    Philipp
      • 185 Posts
      Hi Philipp,

What MODX version do you use now(additionally it will be good to check all Extras too, I saw that PHP version update influenced some of them as well)?

If you don't use the latest (2.6.5) I believe update to this one may help you probably.
        Anton Tarasov
        MODX Developer

Email: [email protected]
        Web: antontarasov.com
        • 24,544 Posts
        I've run MODX on PHP 7 for quite a while. You may have a few extras that cause an issue and need to be updated. I'd suggest upgrading MODX to 2.6.5 with the UpgradeMODX extra (there are critical security reasons for doing so), then updating all Extras before the PHP upgrade. Once that's done, you should be fine and your site will run a lot faster.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 4 Posts
          Hi Anton and BobRay,

thanks for your fast replies! We use version MODX Revolution 2.6.5-pl, is this the latest version?

additionally it will be good to check all Extras too, I saw that PHP version update influenced some of them as well
          Which extras do you mean for example or where can I find them (sorry, I'm new to MODX and our homepage project)?

Greets
          Philipp
            • 24,544 Posts
            Check the extras in Package Manager (go to Extras -> Installer on the Top Menu).

Yes, 2.6.5 is the current version right now.
              My MODX Extras
              • 4 Posts
              Thank you for your reply!

All packages are up-to-date. There are two packages which are older than January 2017 and these are:

• flowplayer (1.0-pl2, 2014-11-11)
              • Wayfinder (2.3.3-pl, 2014-10-18)
              They are up-to-date but much older than the other packages. Could one of these packages cause the PHP upgrade problem?
                • 24,544 Posts
                Wayfinder is definitely OK, so I would suspect flowplayer, especially since it is version 1.0.0 from 2012!
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 4 Posts
                  Thank you! We removed flowplayer, but there is still the problem when running on php7.

I played around with the homepage and found out that after removing the
                  [[*content]]
                  tag from our main template, it is running on php7. But because that can't be a satisfying solution, I tried to change the code from our start page. Even when I use
                  <p>Hello World!</p>
                  in the corresponding resource, the problem still exists.

We use a package called "Flexibility 4", could this one cause the problem or is this just written in HTML and JS (no PHP)?
                  Another package which seems to be quite old is "phpThumbsUp". It has PHP 5.3.x as minimum requirement.

I hope you can help me!
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    I'm not disbelieving you, but what you're saying seems impossible. Removing the content tag fixes things, but making the content just hello world doesn't (and other pages with HTML work fine)?

What happens if you replace the content tag in the template with the hello world HTML.

Be sure to manually clear the cache after making any changes. I recommend the CacheClear extra for this since it wipes the whole cache (clearing the cache in the Manager doesn't).
                      My MODX Extras