We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Hi

I did a couple research online, but not much luck, so I wonder some expert can help me out here.
    Modx version: 2.65
    I tried to create a new TV to show up articles grid system. so they don't need to click every single article and template variable to do the edit.
    I saw collections plugin can do customize the view like here:https://modx.com/blog/2014/09/30/collections-easily-customizable-admin-views-for-content-types/
    So I wonder can I do the same for articles? because the site already has a decent amount of articles already, not planning to move to collections.

Like this:https://imgur.com/a/9ssKJXO

Thank you so much for the help!
      • 1,154 Posts
      I think I understand, every Extra should be customizable I would think, but what do you want to put in the tv? Or in the space you want to make in the grid?

Oh, so you want perhaps the id number of the article, so they can click it and edit? That function isn't available?
        • 5 Posts
        Thank you @nuan88

Yes, I need to create a new TV for using other JS plugin, I want a number for articles, and then they can organize by that number, not from the publish date.

Thank you.

Quote from: nuan88 at Oct 14, 2018, 11:01 PM
        I think I understand, every Extra should be customizable I would think, but what do you want to put in the tv? Or in the space you want to make in the grid?

Oh, so you want perhaps the id number of the article, so they can click it and edit? That function isn't available?
          • 5 Posts
          Thank you @nuan88

Yes, I need to create a new TV for using other JS plugin, I want a number for articles, and then they can organize by that number, not from the publish date.

Thank you.

Quote from: nuan88 at Oct 14, 2018, 11:01 PM

• 1,154 Posts
            Ok so I think we have perhaps two steps.

One, make a tv that saves a value for that article. This could be a posthook of the Articles creation function perhaps. On creating a new article then the tv would save the value ([[previous tv value]] +1).

You have to be careful when to fire it, depending on your needs. If it fires on new article creation, then if that article is deleted it could screw up consecutive numbering. Maybe that doesn't matter, you could still sort them in order by number.

Also if you fire on publication then you would just get the list same as publish date which doesn't seem useful.

So anyway fire it to connect the number with the article.

Further, it seems to me you could build the tv to grab the link to the contents of that article. Does each article get a normal id in Modx? If so it would just be the id number (as a link).

Then, you could view a page with the tv output and see your list of articles with links, I think its not a big problem to get the links right there. Is that all the data you want to connect?

Getting the tv output in the Articles manager is a different task. [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 5 years, 5 months ago.]
              • 5 Posts
              @nuan88
              Thank you for your response. I'm kind of confused by the answer.
              I tried to like this collection, can display custom TV on the article overview https://docs.modx.com/extras/revo/collections
              Sorry for the confusion.
              Is that possible?

Thank you so much!
                • 1,154 Posts
                yes that looks good, i think you can, give it a go!!
                  • 5 Posts
                  What’s the steps to make the custom tv show up in article overview/manager section is my question?

Thank you