We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Hi,

I am stuck on a migration of a MODX revo Website from a subdomain to the root domain.

This is what I do:

1. I clear the cache of my "subdomain.mywebsite.com"
    2. I logout from "subdomain.mywebsite.com"
    3. I export a copy of the database using on "subdomain.mywebsite.com"
    4. I zip and download all the files of "subdomain.mywebsite.com"

Now I have some questions:

1. Do I have to install a new MODX on "mywebsite.com" or simply copy the files I downloaded from "subdomain.mywebsite.com"?
    2. What with the Database? Do I simply need to import it? Or there is no need because i'm on the same server?
    3. Ho can I update the links? I mean from "subdomain.mywebsite.com" to "mywebsite.com"

Could you guys please explain me Step by Step? smiley

Im new on MODX and reading this guide https://modx.com/blog/2015/09/21/migrating-your-modx-site/ I found I cannot go further sad

Thanks in advance
      • 1,572 Posts
      Copy all the files to the new account, import the database.

From there edit the config.inc.php files in the root, core/config, connections and manager folders ( the one in core/config holds the database details, domain ect so have a good look through that one to ensure you don't miss anything.

Once all that is completed correctly visit mysite.com and everything should work
        • 5 Posts
        Quote from: paulp at Oct 11, 2018, 12:28 PM
        Copy all the files to the new account, import the database.

From there edit the config.inc.php files in the root, core/config, connections and manager folders ( the one in core/config holds the database details, domain ect so have a good look through that one to ensure you don't miss anything.

Once all that is completed correctly visit mysite.com and everything should work

Hi Paulp, thanks for the fast replay.

I have a question now: as I am on the same server make sense that I create a new database and import it?
          • 1,572 Posts
          Depends how the server is set up, personally I use phpMyAdmin for each account so create the databases under those accounts to keep everything neat and tidy, but it's up to you how you prefer to do it.
          • Probably will need to modify the .htaccess as well.

Subdomain .htaccess probably looked like this:

RewriteEngine On
            RewriteBase /subdomainFolder

Change to:
            RewriteEngine On
            RewriteBase /

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
              "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
              Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
              • 5 Posts
              Quote from: frogabog at Oct 11, 2018, 05:50 PM
              Probably will need to modify the .htaccess as well.

Subdomain .htaccess probably looked like this:

RewriteEngine On
              RewriteBase /subdomainFolder

Change to:
              RewriteEngine On
              RewriteBase /

Thanks for the hint. I will give it a try and let you know if it works properly wink