We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 10 Posts
    I'm working in a local server with MAMP and MODx 2.6.5-pl and is my first time working with a CMS.

I'm trying to make a context for a specific user group "operator", I tried given to this group the Access Permission as "Context", "Only Load" and "Load, List and View" (I tested one by one, not all in the same time) and when I Write the URL of my resource, the page redirect me to my error page, I already try to give the permission to all type of users and the page continue redirecting to the error page.

I'm missing to do something?

(P.s I have 3 weeks working in MODx, sorry if my situation is for a newbie)

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

MODx Version: 2.6.5-pl
      Developing in Local Page with:
      > MAMP 5.0
      > PHP 7.2.7
    • Permissions can be tricky in MODX, but are super comprehensive once you sort it out. Have you used the documentation at https://docs.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/security ?

I realize the docs are a little obscure. Probably one of the best/easiest to follow tutorial/documentation is at Bob's Guides though: https://bobsguides.com/modx-security-permissions.html

Look through all that, fiddle with it and come back if you find yourself stumped. More information about how you've set up EVERYTHING that you see in these guides will be helpful to us. It appears one of the crucial elements is missing (could be anything), plus you have the added complexity of a different context.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 10 Posts
        Quote from: frogabog at Oct 10, 2018, 04:09 AM
        Permissions can be tricky in MODX, but are super comprehensive once you sort it out. Have you used the documentation at https://docs.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/security ?

I realize the docs are a little obscure. Probably one of the best/easiest to follow tutorial/documentation is at Bob's Guides though: https://bobsguides.com/modx-security-permissions.html

Look through all that, fiddle with it and come back if you find yourself stumped. More information about how you've set up EVERYTHING that you see in these guides will be helpful to us. It appears one of the crucial elements is missing (could be anything), plus you have the added complexity of a different context.

I already seen the documetation, but I will read the Bob's Guide to see if I found my problem, thanks!
          > MAMP 5.0
          > PHP 7.2.7
        • discuss.answer
          • 24,544 Posts
          Creating a second context to restrict pages to certain users is kind of overkill. It's usually easier to just do that with User Group and Resource Group permissions.

If the pages are in the front end, the context of the permission rule should be 'web' and users won't be able to access them until they log in.

Remember that when you make permission-related changes, things won't work normally until the user logs out and back in again. They also won't work normally if you're logged in to the Manager in the same browser (even in a different window). Always test from another browser where you're not logged in to the Manager.

Also, be sure to add yourself to any User Groups involved or you'll end up hiding the resources from yourself.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 10 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Oct 10, 2018, 06:55 PM
            Creating a second context to restrict pages to certain users is kind of overkill. It's usually easier to just do that with User Group and Resource Group permissions.

If the pages are in the front end, the context of the permission rule should be 'web' and users won't be able to access them until they log in.

Remember that when you make permission-related changes, things won't work normally until the user logs out and back in again. They also won't work normally if you're logged in to the Manager in the same browser (even in a different window). Always test from another browser where you're not logged in to the Manager.

Also, be sure to add yourself to any User Groups involved or you'll end up hiding the resources from yourself.

After a couple of days trying to do it, I will use the User Group and Resource Group way. Anyway, thanks! I think this is a Bug or something, I do everything and the documents in the Context never showed up.
              > MAMP 5.0
              > PHP 7.2.7
              • 24,544 Posts
              Let us know if you get stuck.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 10 Posts
                Thanks Bob, I'm just doing experiments with MODx because I'm new in CMS and I really like so much MODx, but is kind a hard for begginers sad Anyway, I will not surrender and I will do my best smiley

(sorry for the bad english)
                  > MAMP 5.0
                  > PHP 7.2.7