We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Hi all,

Hope somebody can help - I'll try and keep this as clear as possible but I'm pretty new to modX and a designer by trade!

I took over running a modx site for a business that an existing client bought and updating was going fine for the last few months (new products, news ect...) In the background the site has moved servers and is now up and running on the new server. I had some issues with updating that you guys were a big help with and all was running smoothly.

I have updated ModX to 2.6.5 but have a few odd problems.

1. One of the elements of the site that is important is the news feed - this is run by articles. All the articles are showing on the live site perfectly - but when I look at them in the manager there are non on the list. I searched the forum for this and found the advice to update the articles package.

Was able to update fine and then I get the green install button under the Articles heading. Once I click on this though - nothing happens - I get taken to a new page which says package management at the top but the rest is blank.

2. No files will show up on the modx browser - 'Downloads', 'Filesystem' and 'imagery' all appear empty (although they clearly are not as site is looking fine.

I can't add images or even see any images within the ModX Browser (web). I just get "No files match the specified filter."

I'm not sure if both these problems are issues with permissions since the server change?

ModX is all up to date and running 2.6.5
      • 17 Posts
      Hi anderslimpar,

Unfortunately, I don't have the magic answer for you. What I can say is that I've experienced problems with various extras after upgrading MODx and/or migrating to different servers, including Articles.

Depending on the development approach used, it's highly likely that the front-end of the website will display fine because the code used to retrieve records from the database is totally independent to that of the code used within the Manager as part of the Articles extra.

If you haven't already, I would advise accessing the MODx Manager whilst having your browser's Developer Tools open to see what's working and what's not, e.g. look out for files that return 500 Server errors etc.

It will take time to debug, but it's often the case that incorrect file permissions are the root cause of the issue.

I hope this helps.

Jim
        • 24,544 Posts
        Try manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory and visiting the site with your browser in private or incognito mode. That will rule out both the MODX cache and the browser cache and cookies as culprits.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting