We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    I don't know when this started, but I found on one of my sites, that the modx error log is full of this error message.

[2018-09-27 11:27:00] (ERROR @ /var/www/html/modx/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php : 2414) PHP warning: json_encode() [<a href='function.json-encode'>function.json-encode</a>]: recursion detected

I've tracked it down to saving a chunk in the manager, any chunk no matter the content. It doesn't happen with any other type of resources. It doesn't matter if I make any changes to the chunk. Each time a chunk is opened, 35+ errors are generated.

I though perhaps some plugin that activates on closing a resource my be the culprit. I disabled Version X which would make a copy of the chunk when closing, but this had no affect.

I searched the forums for this, but any references to this were from 7-8 years ago when when saving resources resulted in an infinite saving loop. TinyMCE was considered the cause.

Any thoughts on how to track this down?

Modx: 2.6.5
    PHP: 5.3.3
    SQL: 5.1.73
    This is a private server managed by the client IT department.
      • 24,544 Posts
      I would first try repairing all tables in PhpMyAdmin.

You could also watch the network tab in Chrome or Firefox (Ctrl-shift-i), to see if that shows anything.

A problem with a plugin attached to OnChunkFormSave could do that, but it seems unlikely that you have one.

A mismatch in the date/time settings can cause trouble with saving chunks.

The only time I know of that json_encode would be called for chunks would be in the case of a chunk with something in its 'properties' field, but that would be unlikely to affect all chunks.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 416 Posts
        Thanks Bob

The IT folks say the database and date/time stamps check out.

Any other ideas?
          • 24,544 Posts
          Did the network tab show anything useful? You can click on each line with a request to connectors/index.php and see the Header and Response. Sometimes the response will have a PHP error, embedded in some confusing HTML code. The data at the end of the Header may provide a clue to which processor is being called via the connector.
            My MODX Extras
            • 416 Posts
            The headers look fine. All of them show status of 200. When I click on them, I see no errors. I'll send the info to you privately to be sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Also I just discovered that the errors are not generated when saving a chunk, just when closing one (whether I save it first or not).
              • 24,544 Posts
              Sorry, I'm baffled. I've never seen this before. Maybe the server error logs would help.
                My MODX Extras
                • 416 Posts
                Thanks Bob.

I'll see what they say.
                  • 416 Posts
                  Well, they see nothing out of the ordinary in the server logs. Hmmm.....

Perhaps I can try disabling plugins and snippets one at a time, maybe it'll surface.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Another thought: Take a look at the chunk table (modx_site_htmlsnippets) in PhpMyAdmin. Look at the 'properties' fields for all chunks to see if any chunk has something there.
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 416 Posts
                      The properties field all contain:

a:0:{}

Except there are couple that contain NULL